• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    You segregate the towels?

I bung all the cottons in together, it doesn't seem to make much difference since everything is so old anyway.

What temperature do they get done at?

I do mine at 75 deg to ensure they're properly dead. and un malodourous.

I don't separate towels. They have all been washed plenty enough times that they are now colourfast.

My WM does either 60 deg or 90 deg as its hot wash options. The latter feels a bit too hot for cotton, and I'd rather not end up with a flannel, so I wash mine at 60.

Comment

Haven't had lunch yet since I've been to that Swansea for the morning.

Off home now since my stomach thinks my throat's been cut. .

In other news my right big toe is complaining.

I wonder if it's gout from all the port and spirits I drink.
      Home again home again jiggety jig.

Lunch: poached tomato and leathery scrambled egg on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast (crust).

Yum.

Currently enjoying 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The toe has been dosed with TCP and will shortly experience some surgical spirit as well.

Multimode bug killing.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Having lost my O2 PAYG phone a few weeks ago I applied for a refund of my account, about £20 I thought. Got a cheque today for £0.05!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You segregate the towels?

I bung all the cottons in together, it doesn't seem to make much difference since everything is so old anyway.

What temperature do they get done at?

I do mine at 75 deg to ensure they're properly dead. and un malodourous.
          I’ve got roughly equal quantities of light and dark ones, and each lot makes for a reasonably sized load in the machine, so I group them thus

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I don't separate towels. They have all been washed plenty enough times that they are now colourfast.

My WM does either 60 deg or 90 deg as its hot wash options. The latter feels a bit too hot for cotton, and I'd rather not end up with a flannel, so I wash mine at 60.
          Same here, both on the age/colour fastness and the available temperatures. I do towels and such at 60°, with a scoop of that Oxi stuff added to help keep odoriferous microorganisms at bay

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Having lost my O2 PAYG phone a few weeks ago I applied for a refund of my account, about £20 I thought. Got a cheque today for £0.05!
            Balance £20, processing fee £19.95

Comment

haddock <breaded>, chips and peas for dinner.
              with chablis.

very nice too.

Comment

Tea: last of the roast beef with carrots & onions.

Dunno why but it seemed completely tasteless again.

Maybe it really is me.

Now getting outside 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The evening's entertainment will begin with the last part of the commentary on "ST:TMP" from yesterday.

Turning the text commentary on at the same time as the director's commentary saves a lot of time.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I do towels and such at 60°, with a scoop of that Oxi stuff added to help keep odoriferous microorganisms at bay
                60 deg is hot enough to kill most things.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 February 2020, 19:49.

Comment

i wash towels separately 'cos i don't use softener on them <it renders them soft and useless>
                  everything else can take its chances in a 40 degree cotton wash.
                  nothing i have gets manky enough to need boiling.
                  mumsnet over and out.

now watching more of 'hill st blues'
                  i'd forgotten how good it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    i wash towels separately 'cos i don't use softener on them <it renders them soft and useless>
                    everything else can take its chances in a 40 degree cotton wash.
                    nothing i have gets manky enough to need boiling.
                    mumsnet over and out.

now watching more of 'hill st blues'
                    i'd forgotten how good it is.

Which season are you watching?

"Let's be careful out there" or "Let's do it to them before they do it to us"?

The only time I wash anything at 40 deg is shirts, denim, and the 20 minute short cycle that's good enough for work clothes & the crap I wear around the house (once it's unpleasant enough for me to notice though it never gets to the stage of some of the unwashed encountered when in with the hoi polloi).
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 February 2020, 20:03.

Comment

Which season are you watching?

"Let's be careful out there" or "Let's do it to them before they do it to us"?

The only time I wash anything at 40 deg is shirts, denim, and the 20 minute short cycle that's good enough for work clothes & the crap I wear around the house (once it's unpleasant enough for me to notice though it never gets to the stage of some of the unwashed encountered when in with the hoi polloi).
                      i began at the beginning.
                      i'l watch on through the middle.
                      and i'll finish at the end*

*unless it becomes formulaic and dull, which happens to some things.

Comment

Working...
                      X