• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A kilter is not so much a thing but more a state of being.

Whereas a rocker, which one can also be off, can definitely be a thing.

Isn't the English language quaint?

Comment

I’d forgotten about the laundry until I remembered it, whereupon it was duly extracted and the clothes horse festooned therewith.

And then I went for a little walk around a few blocks to get some air. The air proved to be a tad nippy, though in fact it's only 9° which would have felt warm a few weeks ago.

And the Chinese is definitely closed

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        A kilter is not so much a thing but more a state of being.

Whereas a rocker, which one can also be off, can definitely be a thing.

Isn't the English language quaint?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I’d forgotten about the laundry until I remembered it, whereupon it was duly extracted and the clothes horse festooned therewith.

And then I went for a little walk around a few blocks to get some air. The air proved to be a tad nippy, though in fact it's only 9° which would have felt warm a few weeks ago.

And the Chinese is definitely closed
          Oh no! What has happened to the Chinese? Do they have a sign up in the window?

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Apparently the northern midwestern states can go from 6 feet of snow to 80 deg sunshine almost overnight in the spring, and the inverse in the fall (as the Septics term autumn for some irrational reason).

Best avoided, it does no one any good when that sort of thing happens.

The Sunday shop took place this afternoon since I was out of milk.

This bodes ill and will throw my routine completely out of kilter.

Anyone know what a kilter is?

Tea: bol that I cooked this afternoon and portioned up as per normal with more of that gluten free wheat free egg free spag.

It was particularly recalcitrant this evening but I managed to stop it gluing itself together in the pan.

The mince was BBE September, presumably last year but might have been the year before.

Lot of water in it but it boiled off eventually so it fried properly.

The added chilli powder, paprika, and garlic granules made it fairly ferocious as these things go, as it was alread an extra spicy Dolmio thing.

Followed by orange segments and custard, the orange being a bit closer to blue than I'd have liked.

Rounded off with 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Despite the FDA saying that it's not necessary to wipe over packaging, I did anyway.

Bleach adds to the flavour of stuff.

Oh, and I washed the jeans that I've worn for 3 weeks and the jumper and cords that I've worn for a lot longer.

Said cords are getting a bit thin to be honest, but they're very comfy and "generous" in all the right places for a gentleperson of my antiquity.

Had a nice chat with her next door but one, the generously embossomed one I've lusted after for years.

Her new squeeze was with her which probly explains why I haven't seen the previous partner for a while.

The new partner is the chap who's been cutting a tree down very slowly a bit further along the road.

In other other news, the solar battery chargers seem to be doing the needful, with the battery reverting to starting the car first turn.

The antilock brake warning light came on but I turned it off & back on again & it went out.
            Is she a Nurse and is her name Gladys? Do you have a brown shop coat?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Oh no! What has happened to the Chinese? Do they have a sign up in the window?
              Only the one they had on my last visit (April 4, two weeks ago) about one customer in the shop at a time. After that, they posted to their FB page saying they were reopening on Wednesday April 8, which was a bit odd as they're shut Mondays anyway so they would only have been closed for, at most, the Sunday and Tuesday. The lack of any further FB updates or signs on the door has me wondering if the new owner has fallen ill or something

But there are two other Chinese takeaways within two hundred yards of them, and they’re both closed too. So I don’t know what’s going on

Comment

Tonight’s non-Oriental repast has been ribeye steak with fried onion, chips, and beans. Very nice it was

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Is she a Nurse and is her name Gladys? Do you have a brown shop coat?
                  No and no.

In fact her name is Elaine which I know because her optician used to send reminders to my address rather than hers, which is odd because the numbers, whilst similar, are separated by 10.

Entertainment: "Civilisation" E1 which covered the time from the fall of Rome to about 1000 A.D.

It showed Skellig Michael - Wikipedia which must be one of the most inhospitable places I've ever seen.

After which I watched "Wonderfalls" E1, E2, & E3, being the story (which got cancelled midseason of season 1) of a philosophy graduate who works in the tourist trinket shop of Niagra Falls and who is spoken to by inanimate objects which may or may not be influenced in this by a higher or lower being.

I found it very funny when it was on Sky back in 2004/5 and it's still funny now.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

First of the films tonight was Ocean's Twelve (2004), which wasn’t as good as Ocean’s Eleven, and here’s why. They spend twenty-odd minutes at the start of the film dealing with why they’re all getting back together to do another heist; this could have been dealt with in five to ten minutes. Really, nobody cares, they just want to see the heist. And then they have an involved plot (oh, Spoiler Alert) involving a minor heist that leads them to the major heist, and then a convoluted business about all of that that finally leads to the point of the story. Again, we just want to see the heist. Simple is good, for we are simple people. One movie, one heist, please. Thank you

After that, on the grounds of commemorating the successful return to Earth fifty years ago Friday evening of three chaps: Apollo 13 (1995). It may not be wholly accurate, but it’s still a cracking film, and a worthwhile reminder that we used to venture off this planet and have to work out how to get back when things went wrong, which puts even our current circumstances in some kind of perspective

And finally, The Night Of E6 and E7. It really is good stuff, this; one more episode to go.

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Dry.

Sunny.

Unwet.

Undank.

Undreary.

Undark.

Unwindy.

Sunday, judging by the wireless.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.