test please delete test please delete - Page 33486
Page 33486 of 33768 FirstFirst ... 32486329863338633436334763348433485334863348733488334963353633586 ... LastLast
Posts 334,851 to 334,860 of 337671

I think today's walk is off for the duration.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by covbob View Post
    Wish I could bloody knock it on the head. Sadly at 38 that's a way off yet.

OTOH sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm working for. Can't see a lot of good things on the horizon and I find living in the moment almost impossible. It's depressing surveying the possibilities for the next thirty-odd years. If I had decent life insurance I'd string myself up and save myself the bother.

OK reasons to be cheerful!

1. You are living in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, you and yours are very unlikely to starve or be homeless.
    2. Your medical care is free at point of use, most other countries charge. Most American bankruptcies are because of healthcare charges.
    3. Education before degree is free and not government restricted by gender, religion or class. Despite the whining its quite good.
    4. The weather is actually fairly stable few major earthquakes or lethal hurricanes in Scunthorpe.
    5. Whilst Bojo seems to be maximising Covid etc deaths you have a far lower chance of dying from it than in most LDCs.
    6. You are apparently in the top 20 earners so will be able to fund a far nicer lifestyle than most. I never have to think 'can I afford that' for normal purchases, previously I did and it is a big change.
    7. You have an interesting job in a comfortable environment (compared to plucking chickens or cleaning loos).
    8. You & yours are in relative good health. Most activities can be completed.
    9. Whilst international travel may be curtailed its likely that will be for a short time and it will result in cheap trips immediately after.
    10. you have the companionship of CUK
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    10. you have the companionship of CUK
    There's always a downside...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by covbob View Post
    I have a call later where I get to explain to a PM and her boss why the extra resource they've engaged to be a "technical lead" for a migration project we're planning is a. unnecessary and b. not part of the currently agreed process for using a 3rd party for running all migration work. Sadly said resource will be on the call.

This is what happens when PMs jump and do things without asking any of the people actually involved in the initial planning, design and handover of work, but just keep repeating the same mistakes from previous projects.

I'm not wasting my time handing over anything to a guy whose technical knowledge is basically zero and who isn't part of any agreed process for the work. If they push it I might just say tulip it and walk.
    Sit back and watch the car crash. Its not your fault. Do some documentation and send over , box ticked.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

Oh FFS. Last night, just as I was going to bed, my broadband connection went down for a minute or so then came back up. Now I find that my IP address, which has remained the same for years, has changed

This means I now have to go through all kinds of Security Groups on AWS that are closed down to my IP address, changing them all, not to mention updating config files on various servers

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Sit back and watch the car crash. Its not your fault. Do some documentation and send over , box ticked.
    +1 - he's a lead so can do all the work - you just need to emphasis that you haven't got time to support him so if he needs any help it's going to impact your other work. Also point out that while it's great that the work has been outsourced its just an additional dependency on the project and will need everything to be delivered well before the final deadline date.

And you leave it there then settle down to watch the car crash.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post

Hang on in there fella!
    WlmS

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Keep it dry, it'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh FFS. Last night, just as I was going to bed, my broadband connection went down for a minute or so then came back up. Now I find that my IP address, which has remained the same for years, has changed

This means I now have to go through all kinds of Security Groups on AWS that are closed down to my IP address, changing them all, not to mention updating config files on various servers
    Don't use a DynDns, or equivalent? I use noip.com
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    +1 - he's a lead so can do all the work - you just need to emphasis that you haven't got time to support him so if he needs any help it's going to impact your other work. Also point out that while it's great that the work has been outsourced its just an additional dependency on the project and will need everything to be delivered well before the final deadline date.

And you leave it there then settle down to watch the car crash.
    I have a conveniently arriving baby due in the next couple of weeks - and so a very good excuse to walk away from any car crash!

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post

Doesn't your ISP do fixed IP? mine is/was £1 a month.