test please delete test please delete - Page 33759
Page 33759 of 33983 FirstFirst ... 32759332593365933709337493375733758337593376033761337693380933859 ... LastLast
Posts 337,581 to 337,590 of 339829

More fingers than teeth

Off for a toothpaste inspection soon. Fortunately got permission from a local school to use their car park when I do a remoter area on Sunday. Doubt they'd have wanted a ghastly old Jimmy Saville look alike to park there in the week.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I would never marry a CUK mod. I don't have many standards - but some things are too low even for me.

Not even Cojak? She seems nice....
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Big walk duly completed. 9km, 10,500 steps. Went to one of my old locals, now permanently closed, just to see it.
    If you take smaller steps, you'll reach the 10k daily target* in less distance

*the 10k daily step target being an utterly meaningless made up value
    Watch your step: why the 10,000 daily goal is built on bad science | Health & wellbeing | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Electricians aren't normally geniuses and frequently don't read the instructions so the manufacturers added a red / green (when green LEDs became cheaper) light to show they were charging, if you wire them wrong they look like they work but don't charge the battery.

Then realising there was a battery in there that degrades they started putting self tests and a red flashing led to show a fault, green suggesting they are ok.

Our H&S chap originally used to pop round and check the lights once a month as one should , eventually facilities took over.

Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde had some of those nice self illuminated exit thingies with the tritium backlight. <- don't do this near tritium.

Of course, with a half life of 12 years, they were all but useless by the time I noticed one.

Anyone remember the trimphone?

That had a tritium backlight too.

The ongoing shed renovation has involved moving some ancient metal kitchen cabinet thing that's in there and hasn't moved in half a century or more probably 60 years.

Well it's fecking moved a bit now, revealing another patch that'll need concrete.

I may bugger off down to B&Q and get some more.

This was prompted by the arrival of the scaffolders who busily removed some more bits here and there, then fecked off leaving most of it untouched.

Lunch: Heinz leak & potato soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Thanks to Google maps & its distance thingie I found out that today's walk was 2 miles and 500 feet in elevation, whereas the walk I used to walk was 3.2 miles and the same elevation.

Must buy another pair of boots so I can ignore the mud and return to that.

The boots I bought from Treasure were comfortable, but being Chinese crap only lasted 6 months before splitting.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    ....This was prompted by the arrival of the scaffolders who busily removed some more bits here and there, then fecked off leaving most of it untouched.

I wonder if they're just taking the bits they're short of for another job and are craftily using your house as free storage? Although, I'd have thought those lorries they use are far more efficient and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I wonder if they're just taking the bits they're short of for another job and are craftily using your house as free storage? Although, I'd have thought those lorries they use are far more efficient and practical.
    Exactly that I suspect.

Not that it's a problem now the dish in the front bedroom can see the skysats again.

Surely reading instructions is for wimps?

Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Off for a toothpaste inspection soon. Fortunately got permission from a local school to use their car park when I do a remoter area on Sunday. Doubt they'd have wanted a ghastly old Jimmy Saville look alike to park there in the week.

Toothpase inspection? Que?

Anyway, just avoid saying "Hello Guys and Gals", "Clunk Click Every Trip", and "Let the train take the strain" and you'll be fine.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26th November 2020 at 12:53.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

My post count is Majestic

Simple lunch of a couple of rounds of buttered wholemeal toast

My Mum seems to be coming round to the Christmas-at-Easter idea. This was helped along by the fact that my nieces alternate grandparents each year, and this year they're due to come to us; but that means one more household. So that means, even if my sister and her husband plus my parents count as a bubble and therefore one household (which is dubious as they've also been going to support his parents), we end up with five households: them + my parents, his parents, brother, nieces, and me. And five into three don't go

To add to the confusion, there's the possibility of my parents having to isolate if my Mum gets her eye surgery before Christmas. And my brother's wife works with mentally handicapped kids and has already had to isolate once when one of them was infected, which would take out two households. And neither of my nieces has a car any more, and they probably wouldn't want to come by public transport. That might put me in the danger zone: s+h, h's parents, and me.

If there seems to be any wavering, I might introduce the fact that getting "mild" covid is still enough to lay most people out for a month or more. And whereas they're all retired, or furloughed or whatever, I have virtually no options if I get ill. (This means having to explain what it means to operate your own limited company for the umpteenth time; maybe they'll finally grasp it this time.) So if the worst comes to the worst, I'll just tell them I'm refusing to attend any such gathering until I've been vaccinated, as the non-medical consequences to me are too much even if I get a mild case.

But I think my Mum's just about getting to the Acceptance phase, so I'll hold that card back for now. Once she's convinced, everybody else knows she'll get her own way in the end and will also accept it; resistance is futile

More fingers than teeth

Only HWMBO has twigged (because I foolishly let it slip) that I'm on my own for Christmas Day. He automatically invited me up...

I'm very much hoping no-one else spots it and tries to get me to engage in something sociable.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Just hearing a tube driver talk about a lady who jumped in front of him, he looked at her at the last moment, their eyes met and she smiled before the train hit her.

Not surprisingly he has mental health problems

Oh he's one of the guys who writes the weird messages on those boards at tube stations.
    My brother was found by an fellow paratrooper major. He had seen many dead people - some desperate to survive, some contented. My brother was contented.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    He's very well, thanking you kindly for asking. He's here, filling my freezer.

How's SWMBO?
    Since she gave up drinking in Feb following a black out and waking up on the floor with back pain, much better!

She needs to do more exercise. Her sister runs the biggest hotel in Llandudno. It has a pool so they sometimes swim together. But the heater is broken at the moment.