• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Are you making that up?
    'Fraid not.... "Meaty Labia" is exactly what it sounded like.... and I heard it repeated several times.........

Obviously my ear isn't tuned to the nuances of spoken Arabic.... so it probably isn't actually pronounced like that.....

They have some strange "sounds" that we just don't have in English.....

Ahmed - Is pronounced "something like" A'k-med..... but not Akmed or Ah-med or A-h-med....
    Its always a laugh when they tell me the Arab word for something.... I repeat it... and they all laugh like drains!!

It doesn't help that there isn't normally a "set" pronounciation (or spelling - certainly in the garbled phonetic English used)... Even a simple "Salaam Alekheim"

It is "actually" Ah Salaam Alekheim... but the Ah bit is "almost" silent.... mainly.... sometimes its Akh sometimes Aaah

But each word varies between:
    Salaam - Salam - Salaaaaam - Sah-laaaaaam - S-laam - Sal-aaarm etc
    Alekheim - Alek-uuuum - Ali-kom - Aleee-koooom

Comment

evening all

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Morning all.

Hurrah!

I don't have the junk room to clear out any more.

Hurrah!

Praise be!

It almost makes up for the electoral disaster of Ed Balls still remaining an MP.

Comment

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Good morning all!

Morning CM!

Well, roll on 09:30 - The canteen opens and it's Fry-Up time!!!

Comment

I'm tired this morning, only 4 more hours left and then I can swap sitting infront of desk to sitting in traffic

Comment

I'll grab a sarnie for the ride

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    I'll grab a sarnie for the ride
                    What's she called?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Good morning all!

Morning CM!

Well, roll on 09:30 - The canteen opens and it's Fry-Up time!!!
                      So much for the diet then
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X