• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Join IPSE

Comment

My alarm went off.

Eek is throwing his toys out of the pram.

And my back still hurts. F***ing waste of a weekend were I can't do anything useful.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

My alarm went off.

Eek is throwing his toys out of the pram.

And my back still hurts. F***ing waste of a weekend were I can't do anything useful.
        Nope eek is fed up with some posters and their attitude. So as you will see from what was an faq I'm changing my attitude to be more like theirs.

And at this point I'm off. I'll change my password to something i cant remember, logout and return if i can ever be arsed to return.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Nope eek is fed up with some posters and their attitude. So as you will see from what was an faq I'm changing my attitude to be more like theirs.

And at this point I'm off. I'll change my password to something i cant remember, logout and return if i can ever be arsed to return.
          Don't be daft.

We all love you really.

Comment

Gosh is it really 5 months since I changed all the clocks back an hour?

Apart from the multifarious clocks from Lidl(tm) which manage to do it themselves, plus the clock on the central heating, there's a shedload of vcrs to retime to BST.

I don't suppose many people still do that.

And there's bound to be some I forget about.

Oddly, I don't feel like death warmed over due to the loss of the hour.

I've probably got that feeling for the rest of the week.

It's dark at 06:10 again.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              The episode of "Bones" creaked towards its inevitable conclusion.

Her acting, such as it is after 12 years, is increasingly irritating and I'm only watching since I want to see the dot at the end of the series.

This evening's ep of "Abandoned Engineering" on Yesterday was all about abandoned bridges, including the Goat Canyon Trestle, which, being in Septicland, has, by very definition, to be the biggest wooden trestle built on a curve in the world.

I somehow suspect that there are very few other wooden trestle bridges built elsewhere, curved or otherwise.

It's on some obscure railway line from San Diego and for reasons of gradient, it passes through parts of mexico on its journey to the east.

As is usual with such epics, dear old Adolph had built some ferro concrete bridge somewhere in Chechoslovakia which also got featured, along with a steel bridge in Pennsylvania that got blown down by a tornado, and some weird freeway bridge that never got built in Capetown.

All vaguely interesting in a slightly drunk Saturday evening with nothing else to watch sort of way.

Oddly, the bit about the failure of the Pennsylvania bridge alleges that wrought iron cannot be used in tension, which is untrue according to

https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/111770

It's cast iron that cannot be used in tension, indeed wrought iron was used in tension quite frequently in suspension bridges, since steel wasn't available at the time.

Plainly someone didn't know wtf they were talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Bridge

Rebuilt out of steel using the original foundation bolts, which failed when the tornado hit.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110610.../body/012.html

Fatigue failure and ductile failure of the wrought iron bolts.
              I saw that the other night. Didn't bother myself to shock their research though...

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
                Don't be daft.

We all love you really.
                Deleted and I'm gone. When the retrospective attacks come at least me, unlike you will have done my bit to help people avoid it.

Heck if people haven't planned yet it's too late anyway so it's a good time to walk away.

See ya

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  Gosh is it really 5 months since I changed all the clocks back an hour?

Apart from the multifarious clocks from Lidl(tm) which manage to do it themselves, plus the clock on the central heating, there's a shedload of vcrs to retime to BST.

I don't suppose many people still do that.

And there's bound to be some I forget about.

Oddly, I don't feel like death warmed over due to the loss of the hour.

I've probably got that feeling for the rest of the week.

It's dark at 06:10 again.
                  Not for long. In two weeks it will be light again.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Password changed

Comment

Morning denizens

Lovely sunny day out there

Bit on the chilly side at the moment, mind

Comment

Working...
                      X