• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a right bitch fitting the entire bed in the washing machine, I can tell you.

Took the afternoon off on the grounds that feck all was going on and I had stuff to do.

So there's the binbags taken to the dump, the glass bottles disposed of, the paper recycled.

Followed by the purchase of two nice new DitchFinder(tm) Special tyres from Town Tyres in Swansea.

Who also found the cause of the buzzy exhaust, to whit, the weld around the front of the back box.

A replacement back box is £95.

Oh, and the week wash is in progress, the first pass is now in the drier, and the 2nd pass is in the washing machine.

The ZeitTea is the ZeitStandard M&S chunky haddock in breadcrumbs, which, as usual, was Very Nice.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 13 October 2017, 16:38.

Comment

I'm preparing a large batch of chips, taking advantage of a momentary burst of enthusiasm. Phase 1 has been completed. Once put through phase 2 and frozen, they should be enough to see me through three or four meals

One of my purchases today, from Sainsbury's, was a bone-in ribeye steak, weighing in at just under 30oz. Tempting though it is to try to get through the whole thing in one sitting, I suspect the sensible thing is to treat it more like a roast, and at the very least save some for sandwiches. So I think I'll keep that for Sunday

Comment

Dinner tonight is a game of two halves: I've had a bowl of tomato soup, with croutons and toast (brown multiseed bread), to start with; and now I'm waiting for some chicken thighs to roast

And the chips are in the freezer, as are two portions of last night's lamb rogan josh, so hopefully I won't starve completely during my first week back at ClientCo

Comment

This evening's entertainment was provided by "The Big Bang Theory" EOLastS & SOThisS.

It was funnier than I recalled and the new ep was very good too.

This was followed by "Red Dwarf" S12E1, which was also much funnier than expected.

The Main Feature was "Out of the Past" (1947) Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming, Jane Greer.

It was classic noir & b&w to boot.
          Out of the Past (1947) - IMDb

Comment

Where's our angel smilie gone? I'm sure we used to have one. :angel: :halo:

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Where's our angel smilie gone? I'm sure we used to have one. :angel: :halo:
              Ah, maybe it was skype. We should have one though.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Ah, maybe it was skype. We should have one though.
                +1

Comment

After the usual Ambulance whilst dining, tonight's entertainment got off the ground and into the water with Sully: Miracle on the Hudson (2016) - IMDb, about that absolutely remarkable emergency landing on the Hudson river in New York. I can see why the NTSB were a bit narked, as they were unfairly portrayed as a bunch of spiteful vindictive gits just to jazz up the drama a bit. In reality, of course, they're a bunch of civil servants following a clearly defined procedure to establish the facts of the matter, and that's why the pilot himself insisted that their names be changed from those of the real people when he read the initial draft of the script. I suppose Clint Eastwood, who directed it, is justified in arguing that the made-up conflict was important from a cinematic perspective as most people aren't (let's face it) clever enough to enjoy an accurate portrayal of an NTSB investigation

Anyway, it's still a very good film and, given that most phone and CCTV cameras that filmed the actual incident weren't of very high quality in those days and also didn't have good camera angles, it was nice to see such an unbelievably skilful piece of flying recreated in 4K video. I also found Sully's persistent concern, after being rescued himself, with whether the count of those rescued was the same as his count of Souls On Board very moving, as I have no doubt that part is true to life

The evening's second feature was Contraband (2012) - IMDb, in which a retired smuggler finds himself forced, for family reasons, to undertake one last run. As is the way of these things, matters rapidly get out of hand. Then they get a lot more out of hand. Then they get totally feckin' out of hand. And then it gets worse. I expected this to be a reasonably entertaining action flick, but it turned out to be pretty damn good, and I recommend it if you're in the mood for things getting out of hand

And finally, as no Friday night is really complete without something Scandinavian: Hodejegerne (2011) - IMDb, or Headhunters in English, which is about a recruitment consultant who has a sideline in priceless art theft; as dodgy an agent as you could expect to find. The Norwegians seem to have no problem with mashing up genres so this started out like a smart heist movie, quickly acquired aspects of a political thriller, detoured temporarily into some rather broad slapstick, rapidly transitioned into some exceptionally brutal and gory violence, went back to the thriller stuff but with more brutal violence thrown in, and finally resolved into some important stuff about relationships and trust. You certainly get your money's worth with Norwegian cinema, and the goriest bits turned out to be central to the resolution of the story rather than gratuitous, though that doesn't make them any less stomach-turning for those with weak stomachs. Good stuff all round, I thought. Also, I found out that the Norwegian for "nurse" is "sykepleier", and I like the idea that in Norway nurses are people who ply their sykes

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

We do have an angel smilie.

However, it must be said that it's a Fallen Angel smilie, to whit

I've been looking for a charity emporium dvd of "Contraband" for a while since it turned up in the trailer section of one or other dvd the other day.

I seem to have gone off watching subtitled ScandiNoir stuff.

Dunno why.

Comment

Working...
                      X