• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's flickering screen fantasy was Mad Max (1979), another film that people have been assuming I'd seen for years, but which I hadn't until now. TBH I only watched it because I've got Mad Max: Fury Road in the pipeline, and figured I should watch the original first.

I wasn't that impressed. The story seemed to meander a bit and was quite slow at times, and they were clearly a bit low on budget for the dystopian future they wanted to show. I can see why all the people I knew who raved about it in the 1980s were bikers

And then the penultimate episode of Jordskott (S1), which is now so weird that {SPOILER} it's not even weird to learn that the Swedish government's national security services have a cadre devoted to ensuring the protection of non-human people such as woodland sprites

In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that's actually true. (I definitely wouldn't be surprised to learn it was true about the Icelandic government, but they're more open about these things.) {END SPOILER}

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I wasn't that impressed. The story seemed to meander a bit and was quite slow at times, and they were clearly a bit low on budget for the dystopian future they wanted to show. I can see why all the people I knew who raved about it in the 1980s were bikers
      OK, so it turns out they were on a ridiculously low budget, and they ended up bolting the "dystopian future" concept on almost as an afterthought to explain why they could only afford to film in crappy derelict locations. So fair play to them for making such a successful film under trying circumstances

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Flurries of snow in London & SE

But it is fecking freezing
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all
            Big flakes of snow falling on the dog walk earlier, but not enough of them to have any impact, although the ground is very frozen so then it comes on heavier, it's going to lie.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sunny in Manchester....

probably very cold but I have been in the office for an hour and half so cannot be sure.

Comment

Morning all

Back from a weekend even further up north on Hadrian's Wall. Definitely recommend Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum if you are ever up that way. Some stunning scenery as well.

Walking along a stretch of the wall is a bit of a surreal experience as well when you start thinking about the poor sods who manned it. Hundreds, if not thousands of miles from home in a cold bleak country. Look north and it's nothing but barbarians who want to kill you. South is the Empire, but locals will still kill you given half a chance, they'll just smile at you and say "Ave" while they do it.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Snowing a lot harder now, big flakes that are settling on the ground.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Snowing a lot harder now, big flakes that are settling on the ground.
                    It's given up here, for now anyway. A dusting on the ground and it's bloody cold but other than that nothing to get excited about.

Comment

A steady fall now, and settling on the ground. Supposed to get worse tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X