• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fun day with the ClientCo...
    One of the permies was asked yesterday to send an email to the PM asking a simple question (Do you want x or y). Today, the first 15 mins of a conf call was spent with that permie explaining to us all why he hadn’t sent it. I then offered to send it as I didn’t want more time wasted. Then told by another permie that it needed to come from the first guy.

Next, I ask a techie if he wants me to do a particular piece of setup that he should have done. He replied that it “wasn’t on his radar”. I then had to ask him did he mean, no, I don’t need to do it, or no, he wasn’t aware of it. He told me that he meant it needed to be done by someone (then inserted a few more 1990s management buzzwords)

Then the next meeting and permie 1 (from above) was asked a question, which he answered, then there was a follow up for me, which permie 1 decided to answer too, saying that I wouldn’t have time to do certain tasks tomorrow because I would be travelling, then contradicting himself saying no, I would be travelling later, then saying he wasn’t sure. I then said “do you mind if I speak for myself?”

The latest, from permie 1 is that he contacted me to say he couldn’t make it to a meeting tomorrow. I said no problem, I’d be there. Half an hour later the PM contacts me to say that permie 1 won’t be there, I say that he’s already told me, and it’s OK, I can deal with it without him. PM then asks if permie 1 knows I’m still going, to which I reply “yes, I told him an hour ago”

It’s like some of the permie IT team are paid to be uncommunicative or only pass on parts of messages.

...anyway, 9pm and still invoicing
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Chicken korma for dinner, with the usual bits

The large hole outside the pizza shop has been filled in. I think they were just finishing off when I got home, as I vaguely recollect seeing a van with a flashing orange light over there.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        You and me both. Seriously considering not renewing at the end of next month and taking a few months off to do stuff that I actually enjoy.
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You've been saying that for over a year!!!
        Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Getting that way too, client keeps offering renewals - loath to decline when it's a decent rate and mostly WFH though.

Been 16 months on the same gig with only xmas breaks and the odd few long weekends here and there. Be nice to have a couple of months off to do my own thing now really.

But I keep thinking of money
        This ^^
        Right, decision made. Telling client co. tomorrow I'm not renewing. Going to take a few months off / part time through till the Summer and then see whats about.

Got a few days work lined up for an old acquaintance who's working with an NGO and potentially some more with a company I've done lots of work along side with previous clients, and even if that on a few days here and there it will be enough to keep things ticking over and leave time for the fun stuff. And both have agreed to a rate 20% over what current client co. are paying me.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Right, decision made. Telling client co. tomorrow I'm not renewing. Going to take a few months off / part time through till the Summer and then see whats about.

Got a few days work lined up for an old acquaintance who's working with an NGO and potentially some more with a company I've done lots of work along side with previous clients, and even if that on a few days here and there it will be enough to keep things ticking over and leave time for the fun stuff. And both have agreed to a rate 20% over what current client co. are paying me.
          Nice one!

Comment

Minimal chance of snow tonight, if the forecast is to be believed - I daresay it's being saved up for my journey tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Morning denizens

It's -6°C out there this morning, according to the weather app

No snow just now though

Although the snow radar app suggests I'll be driving to meet it, and should find plenty in the last few miles of the journey

Comment

Lots of the white stuff here. Enough that the road up the hill out of the village is like an ice rink. Had a look at getting out this morning and gave up along with a few other folks. The A1 doesn't look to clever either. WFH for me today.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Snow day!

Flight cancelled due to 2" of snow at Gatwick.

Lovely dog walk this morning - clear blue skies and fresh tracks in the snow.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Snow for most of the way to ClientCo, snow for most of the morning, and snow now. The poor car has got icicles hanging from its front bumper

But it’s still petrol station lunch day

Comment

Working...
                      X