• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    slow cooker roast chicken.

Just throw it in the slowcooker, DONE!
    Doing this today. It's been absolute torture as the aroma has gradually permeated the whole place, but it'll be ready soon
    OK, this one is being marked down as a huge success

As it produces a large amount of juices, people recommend raising the chicken off the base of the slow cooker. They suggest various implements for this, but as I was going to use the juices for gravy, I instead chucked in a couple of sacrificial carrots - I'm out of celery, otherwise a couple of stalks of that would have gone in too. And, as usual, I stuck an onion in the fowl's body cavity.

The bird doesn't brown much, so after about five-and-a-half hours in the slow cooker on high, I transferred it to the roasting tin in which the potatoes were already cooking, at gas mark 7 for about fifteen or twenty minutes, which browned the skin nicely. (It could have handled a bit longer, in fact, to get it super crispy, but I was guessing at timings.) The tricky bit here was the transfer to the roasting tin, because it was so beautifully cooked that it was on the verge of falling to pieces when I lifted it (using two slotted spoons) - in fact, one of the wings dropped off, as did half of the other one.

In the meantime, the gravy I made with all the juices started out a very light colour, but being boiled and reduced for about fifteen minutes, it developed a really rich deep brown colour, indistinguishable from that of chicken Oxo, but with a much subtler flavour. All I added, apart from a little cornflour in water to thicken it, was a bit of pepper, and it was an absolutely excellent gravy.

So I'll definitely be doing that one again, though I have to remember to buy a small enough chicken to fit into my not-huge slow cooker

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Doing this today. It's been absolute torture as the aroma has gradually permeated the whole place, but it'll be ready soon
      good innit!

Tonight we had a normal one as we had a bacon coated chicken. combine with fresh baked bread and its all good.

Off to make some soup with the bones.
      Last edited by vetran; 18 March 2018, 23:21.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight's film was Marathon Man (1976), which I had seen many years ago, though the BBC always edited down the torture bits, even though they're not that bad in the first place. It's good, if rather bleak.

And then an episode of The Good Place, which was mainly about Utilitarianism.

Goodnight all

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Morning all

The snow stopped overnight, but it then started to freeze hard. The morning dog walk involved snow chains on my wellies.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's film was Marathon Man (1976), which I had seen many years ago, though the BBC always edited down the torture bits, even though they're not that bad in the first place
              Vaguely recall seeing that when it first came out. Just a normal session at the dentist.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning

Comment

Snowing again here.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny here, off and on but more on than off. It's making slow work of melting the snow though, as it's still very cold

Comment

Hello.

Quite sunny in Manchester - can see the snow on the hills from here.

Very pretty...

Comment

Working...
                      X