• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got 45 minutes to kill at Edinburgh Waverley waiting for my train.

So I’ve gone a nearby pub - £5.40 for a pint

Comment

In other news Microsoft are asking for over £1000 as the company has qualified to be silver competency ISV.

Given that the software changes the internals of their powerapps systems I will be paying for the endorsement - as it says they are happy with the way I change things

Not sure what to do with the free msdn licenses I now own and don’t need
      Last edited by madame SasGuru; 9 August 2018, 18:55.

Comment

Heavy rain has come to town!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Heavy rain has come to town!
          chucked it down all day here, - the gardens can be heard sighing in relief

butcher's roast chicken, chips and peas for dinner.

finally got my eyes tested and ordered new specs. - 500 squid! - glad i only do it every ten years.

Comment

Tea was lentil <pfffft> soup.

In fact it was 3 different batches, which, when mixed together before meeting the poppity ping, proved to be quite toothsome, the overwhelming parsnip gone off of one mixing with the overwhelming saltiness of the 2nd, and the combination going quite well with the 3rd.

Sounds like it might work quite well.

Followed, as is only right and proper, by Bird's custard augmented with stewed blackberries.

Which was even more toothsome but is a right pain in the molar as I attempt to remove a recalcitrant seed.

This afternoon's holiday endeavour was the shifting of the worktop over the fridge upwards by about an inch, while the cupboard by the side of the fridge was shifted left by an inch and threequarters.

Which reminds me I haven't put the workbench away yet.

While I was at it, I took the opportunity to raise the shelf in the cupboard by 2 3/4" so more whisky bottles could fit under it.

I very rarely drink whisky which is why there's so many bottles of single malts in there, along with an ancient bottle of White Horse, and a bottle of brandy in a Crofts' sherry box.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              I very rarely drink whisky which is why there's so many bottles of single malts in there, along with an ancient bottle of White Horse, and a bottle of brandy in a Crofts' sherry box.
              and where did you say you lived, again??

Comment

Continued with the running down of frozen stock this evening: beef and Guinness casserole, with a few mini-roasties that were left and a couple of croquettes, and petits pois. All very nice

Down to: two lamb stews; two chicken curries (jalfrezi and tikka masala); one coq au vin; and one chicken cacciatore. Once they're all eaten, I can start again

Comment

Following on from the compulsory DIY, this evening's televisual epics were "Forbidden History" all about James Bond, which was reasonably amusing, followed by some programme about the space race on PBS, followed by some ridiculous thing about snipers on Movies4Men: Sniper:Ghost Shooter with someone who used to be President Palmer some years ago.

One is pleased with the decrease in temperature above the refrigerator since this afternoon's modifications.

This sniper thing is quite bloodily amusing.

If you're into .338 and .50 sniper rifles.

Though it must be said that the rifles don't seem to recoil as much as one might expect.

That was ok, what I watched of it.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 August 2018, 21:58.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    It's wrong to ascribe malice when simple incompetence is more understandable.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-sk...r-7219352.html

Managed to get my hair cut after a mere hour and a half wait.

Also realised that I'd been a customer there for 50 years.

Bought the mandatory 2nd hand dvds before wandering to Morrisons and thence back home.

It then started picking with rain but it's stopped now.

This chap has turned up on The Archers recently.

Mr Pointy hasn't though.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu..._B0wEHoECAkQCQ

Lunch turned out to be a five egg scramble.

The eggs were BBE January.

Though 2018.

It was ok, if a little odd.

The added Worcester sauce and chilli spiced it up a bit.
                    Ah Mr Stewart Head!

Poor choice of name
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight's viewing started with some more of the BBC documentary about London's new super sewer during dinner.

Then, after the trundling forth of the recycling bin and what have you, I settled down to watch a film. But, switching to the Apple TV, there appeared an unholy thing: the upper part of the screen appearing mainly blank but for a few lines of corrupted data, and the lower part filled with a mainly green-hued chaotic tiling of a heavily distorted bit of a video image

Suspecting the Apple TV of mischief, I tried turning it off and on again, and even swapped HDMI leads with the Blu-ray player, while Googling various things on my phone; but nothing got rid of this cursed sight

Then it occurred to me to try the Blu-ray player itself, and the same thing was seen. So both the HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 inputs were apparently screwed, which was a bit disconcerting as this suggested a hardware problem with the telly.

I tried resetting the telly, but that didn't improve things. After various experiments, I discovered a deeper reset mechanism buried in the advanced menus that went so far as a full reboot, and gave that a try - and lo! it was all OK again

Except as that reset absolutely everything except the wi-fi password, I then had to go through the settings getting everything reconfigured properly

And after THAT, all of which had taken nearly an hour, I was finally able to settle down to use the damn thing. Remember when you could just hit them on the top with a clenched fist and it fixed everything?

So finally, a double feature following on from last night's viewing: Taken 2 (2012) and Taken 3 (2014), distinguished from each other and their predecessor primarily by the increasing quality of the mobile phones used by the various protagonists. All good clean fun, and I daresay most of the great masters of literature would have enjoyed them as the well-spun yarns they are, even if they lack deep significance

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X