• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's big feature was War of the Worlds (2005), in which Spielberg and Cruise play fast and loose with H. G. Wells' story; but it's not that bad actually, with some excellent effects. My main objection would be that Spielberg chose to use an extremely washed-out level of colour grading, which was probably supposed to subliminally convey the desperate nature of humanity's situation, but was more like the colour grading equivalent of somebody's aunt's choice of headline fonts for the community newsletter. Spoiler alert: germs win

I'm going to watch the 1953 version soon, for purposes of comparison. In fact, I think I'll read the book too, as it's even longer since I read that than it is since I last saw the 1953 version; probably about thirty years for the latter and forty years for the former

Goodnight all

Comment

Good morning all!

Day 30 of permydom!

Payday on Monday - which is nice!

It's Friday, Bolton on't 'ill - and it's dark, windy and wet(ish).

Finish at 13:00 - which is nice!

Free breakfast as we're celebrating 1200 accident free days - which is nice!

I'm in "Why didn't you read the bloody spec when you wrote this tulip!" mode.

I'm going to point out the error of someone's ways - when the Americans wake up!

Have a good weekend all!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Morning.

Sunny, warm, with clear blue skies reflected in the blueness of the dock & Swansea Bay, with little fishies basking in the rays.

Oh.

Sorry.

That was my dream.

Dark.

Grey verging on black.

Sunless.

No fecking sign of dawn's rosy fingers over Margam that I can perceive.

In fact it's pretty difficult to see further than the other side of the dock a quarter of a mile away.

Windy.

Very fecking windy.

Very very fecking windy indeed.

It's not fecking joking about how very very very fecking windy it is, as in you'd better lean forward when walking into the wind or it'll blow you backwards and not in a good way.

Thankfully it's merely horizontal drizzle at the moment or I'd be soaked to the skin.

According to the driver of the X55, there's trees down in Clyne (not to be confused with Clyne Valley, this last being on the way to Mumbles rather than halfway down the Vale of Neath, glad we've cleared that up, like).

Never mind, with the windows that stay open, it'll blow the carpet outgassing filth out of the lab.

Still debating quietly to myself what sort of a mother****ing idiot puts what passes for a university in a place like this, and how much did he pocket for doing it.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Tonight's big feature was War of the Worlds (2005)
        I got about 15 minutes into that & watched sommat else instead.

Presumably wasn't in the mood for it.

I have the requisite two dvds too.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Blustery and fifty shades of grey in Mancunia. Kelloggs were cooking Coco Pops yesterday afternoon - a strong waft of chocolatey cereal smells drifted across Trafford Park yesterday afternoon. Too breezy to even smell if they're cooking today. Be safe out there peeps, it's getting stronger.

On a plus note, just enjoyed a bacon, egg and black pudding roll for breakfast.

All I can smell now is coffee and impending weekend.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Morning all windy out, and for some reason the chicken house door didn't close last night. Batteries fine, motor working, timer correct, no snags of the string.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Morning all windy out, and for some reason the chicken house door didn't close last night. Batteries fine, motor working, timer correct, no snags of the string.
              It's not a bug it's a feature.

The waves on the dock are turning into white horses.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

As with what appears to be most of the country, warm'ish, damp'ish, grey'ish, windy. Very windy.

And we have the arrival of whats left of Michael to look forward to in a few days time.

With any luck it will stay south and give the French a kicking instead.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm in Manchester and what dave B said.

But at least it's Friday!

Comment

Morning all

Thankfully not in Manchester today. WFH.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

The rain has eased off a bit, though it doesn't show any signs of stopping

A thunder of trundling out the back suggests the bins are being emptied right now. I don't know why they started coming at lunchtime rather than first thing in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                      X