• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further progress on the living room, of a kind. A cheap plastic shelving unit in the far corner, put up some years ago as a temporary measure, has finally been cleared and disassembled, as the space will be more efficiently used if I stack boxes there. They too are intended as a temporary measure, but at least they'll be a bit more out of the way there.

The tea trolley mentioned above has been taken to the tip. Farewell, tea trolley, or more accurately Telitroli, as I found from a label on the underside of its top shelf:

The main reason for the haste to remove the Telitroli was that not only was it in the way, but the tip is en route to Homebase, where I bought some more boxes. A number of the existing boxes have fairly flimsy lids which tend to sag when other boxes are stacked on them to any great height; the new boxes, like some of the existing ones, have much sturdier lids, allowing me to stack stuff much higher over there by putting them at the base of the piles

Oh, and I've also got big graze on my right arm from scraping it on the underside edge of one of the plastic shelves when disassembling them

More packing and stacking once I've had a rest

Comment

Couple more big boxes of books packed and stashed in the newly-available space across the room. About one more to go, and I can start going through the magazines.

1980s issues of PCW and Byte are definitely staying; probably the small number of Acorn User, Games Machine, and similar that I still have. But all the post-1990 (or thereabouts) editions of things like Your Computer and PC Pro are going. I'll keep DDJ and one or two others of similar ilk, because they were thin so don't take up much space in aggregate; also, their content is interesting and sometimes even still relevant.

Depending on the volume they occupy, the later editions of PCW might go, too. It achieved the record for the thickest magazine ever published in the UK at one point, and it was almost entirely ads and reviews of functionally identical PCompatibles by then. There may be a few with items of interest, but we'll see. There are probably scans of anything interesting floating around online anyway.

Knackered now; having a rest before making dinner

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Couple more big boxes of books packed and stashed in the newly-available space across the room. About one more to go, and I can start going through the magazines.

1980s issues of PCW and Byte are definitely staying; probably the small number of Acorn User, Games Machine, and similar that I still have. But all the post-1990 (or thereabouts) editions of things like Your Computer and PC Pro are going. I'll keep DDJ and one or two others of similar ilk, because they were thin so don't take up much space in aggregate; also, their content is interesting and sometimes even still relevant.

Depending on the volume they occupy, the later editions of PCW might go, too. It achieved the record for the thickest magazine ever published in the UK at one point, and it was almost entirely ads and reviews of functionally identical PCompatibles by then. There may be a few with items of interest, but we'll see. There are probably scans of anything interesting floating around online anyway.

Knackered now; having a rest before making dinner
        I've got three copies of 'high times' and half a dozen furry freak brothers comics.
        does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          I've got three copies of 'high times' and half a dozen furry freak brothers comics.
          does that count?
          No copies of "High Times", but a few Gilbert Shelton comics are in there somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            No copies of "High Times", but a few Gilbert Shelton comics are in there somewhere

Comment

Following the Tuesday fish supper, this evening's pretty average epic was "Shadow Run(1998)" with Michael Caine and Edward Fox.

It was, at best, mediocre, but there you go.

Shadow Run (1998) - IMDb

However there was in the trailers mention of the very funny "Drowning Mona" which I would recommend if you like very silly black humour.

Drowning Mona (2000) - IMDb

And a mention of "PIcking up the pieces" which looks like it might be amusing enough to be worth 50p of anyone's money.

Picking Up the Pieces (2000) - IMDb

One is most gratified to see that Mr Fitz is making such progress with his ongoing chucking everything in the dump frenzy.

I got rid of two 3 foot tall piles of some Septic computer mags I bought back in the day, probably early 90s.

Hadn't opened them for years & they were damp enough where they were to have the pages stick together.

It was quite satisfying chucking them in the recycling skp, almost as satisfying as doing the same thing to all those databooks earlier this year.

We won't discuss the pile of obsolete computers that currently grace the garage.

I suspect they're getting higher on the list by the day.

The two Compaq Portable III might be worth something to obsolete computer nutjobs if I could be arsed to stick them on ebay.

The other thing not to mention are the 153 copies of "PC Utilities" and the 45 years of Wireless World, plus a decade or so of Practical Electronics, Practical Wireless, and ETI.

What it is to be a squirrel.

What I find quite interesting is the increase in price of periodicals.

Wireless World was 17.5p a copy in 1972.

It's £5 these days, whereas it should be about £2.40 judging by inflation since 1971.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 October 2018, 21:42.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Scouse with a couple of bits of white bread for tea; dead nice, it was

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                The two Compaq Portable III might be worth something to obsolete computer nutjobs if I could be arsed to stick them on ebay.
                A Google search for "Telitroli" revealed naught but a chap in Rotherham who posted his on Facebook in October 2015, seeking £12 for it. It was in much better condition than mine

Comment

Tonight's art cinema experience was Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970) - Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto in Italian - in which a high-ranking police officer murders his mistress and deliberately lays a trail of clues pointing to himself, to demonstrate that his colleagues will consistently pass over, ignore, or explain away the evidence because they assume he is, indeed, above suspicion. A bit weird overall

This light graze on my arm from disassembling those shelves earlier is surprisingly sore given that the skin is barely broken

Goodnight all

Comment

test

test

Comment

Originally posted by hmrcvictim View Post
                      test
                      Please delete?
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X