• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No TV tonight, apart from some police thing whilst eating, as my left ear is a bit swollen internally again. I must have been remiss in cleaning my hearing aids, or maybe just worn them too much and it's still not used to them

Anyway, the iMac is now sorted out, complete with an upgrade to Mojave. There's something wrong with the external USB drive I was using for Time Machine backups (naturally at the same time I might have needed them, though in the end I didn't). No idea if the two incidents are related.

But I dug out the 8TB drive I got from Amazon the other week and hooked that up. Converted it from NTFS, then partitioned it, and the iMac is now happily doing a new Time Machine backup to that. I'll see if the other drive can be revived, or if it's a hardware thing, some other time

Goodnight all

Comment

Dark in Manchester

Not overly cold though.

Here's a thing card shops seem to sell Grandpa cards - its what the kids call the wife's father.

So I guess I get to scour all the card shops in the arndale today to see what I can find.

I told the missus Moonpig and that may well be the actual answer.

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sky as black as my heart.

Warmer than yesterday.

16 deg in the living room, 8.3 in the laundry room with a min of 7.8.

Sunless.

Moonless.

Venusless.

Bus on time.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all can’t tell you what the weather is like up here as it’s still dark out.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

flying visit as Cojak mentioned me in General and it seemed worth adding a comment...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Afternoon denizens

I forgot to set any alarm last night and slept through pretty steadily to noon, so I guess I must have needed it. Feeling most refreshed

Sunny out, but not very warm at around 6°C. Still, no snow yet

Comment

Electricity's gone off to my flat and the ground floor back; yet the other flats are ok. All our meters are in a cupboard in the hall, with separate branches off what I assume is the same main. No idea what's going on.

Oh, and we're on different energy suppliers, it seems, so no idea if one of us getting a repairperson out would get the other fixed

Bring back EMEB

Comment

Leccy's back

The landlord/manager chap had been on to Western Power Distribution (what they're doing in the East Midlands I don't know) and was just about to arrive to inform us what was going on, when it came back on. A breaker tripped at a substation, it seems, affecting 88 properties in the area.

But why, then, were only two of the five flats affected? It turns out the mains cable (dunno the correct terminology) coming in from the street actually has two lines on different circuits, which are then split between alternate flats. So three flats are on the circuit which was still working, and GFB and I are on the other one which was knackered

So now I can see about getting my lunch, which I was just about to make when the power went off; I didn't want to open the fridge if there was a chance of the power being out for ages

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    So now I can see about getting my lunch, which I was just about to make when the power went off; I didn't want to open the fridge if there was a chance of the power being out for ages
                    And so it came to pass: bacon cob, and very nice too

Comment

Tea/dinner/lunch/breakfast was M&S breaded haddock plus a Morrisons kippered herring (reduced).

The evening's entertainment was "A Walk amongst the Tombstones" with Liam Neeson.

A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014) - IMDb

It was rather good in a rather horrifying sort of way.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X