• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice tea tonight: lamb chops, with chips, peas, and a gravy that was just the right thickness

This ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 conversion is still being a bit of a pain, but I think I'm getting closer

Comment

In documentary mode for this evening's viewing, with more of that Waco thing while I was eating dinner, then later, 16 Acres (2012), about the general cocking-up surrounding the business of redeveloping the WTC site in New York after 9/11. So inept were the various politicians and public bodies involved (to the obvious irritation of the businessman who owned the rights to the land) that the film was completed several years before the project; one assumes the filmmakers figured that if they waited until it was done, the early footage would have decomposed, or something

I'd forgotten that there was a big legal battle over the question of whether the attack constituted one or two events, because certain insurance policies would pay out twice if the destruction of each tower was a separate event. In the end, the courts determined that legally it was two events, and the insurers then negotiated the settlement down to 1.5 times what it would have been for one

Rumour has it that there was more snow out there this evening, but all I saw was damp everywhere.

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Cold and frosty out there.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Morning All.....

Weirdly I can see the Pennines but only over the fog which seems to be stuck at ground level.

It's a bit spooky

anyway happy hump day

Comment

Morning all a bit white out.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Not sure quite why I slept until lunchtime, but I feel much better for it so I must have needed it

Sunny out, but no better than 2°C

Comment

Cherry & almond cake for lunch, as it's getting stale now so it needs to be finished off. So that must be two of my five a day

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  This ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 conversion is still being a bit of a pain, but I think I'm getting closer
                  Ah! Found an obscure setting in a config file which (I think) gives me the last piece of the puzzle

Comment

Baked potato for lunch (went in at 7.30 this morning)

Have also just checked out our home insurance. Currently with the Halifax, who have quoted a renewal price of £1010.
                    Went on to moneysupermarket and I can get a policy from £250. Or I can get a Halifax policy for £350.

...am now waiting to hear from NFU as they are popular in this area.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

FFS. In one of their tables, vBulletin use a compound key. But MySQL only has a case-insensitive UTF-8 collation, and two rows in that table have the same value for a column that's part of that compound key, one mixed case, one uppercase… so the damn thing falls over with a Duplicate Key error when trying to convert that table to UTF-8

I believe I can work around it by using the binary UTF-8 collation. Or maybe I'll just leave that table as ISO-8859-1; there's no fancy characters in there, so it shouldn't break. Pain in the neck, though

Comment

Working...
                      X