• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    How’s the ‘rentals, Nick?
    Well, my Dad was potentially going to be released today, and was insistent that he'd manage just fine by himself if my Mum was still in hospital. Luckily the medical staff are having none of this, so he's stuck there for now.

And it's been determined that my Mum has "a virus" - presumably a cold virus or similar - but not anything bacterial, and not pneumonia. It appears to be the same thing my Dad had, so she'll have picked it up from him. Maybe it's that terrible cold thing I had a few weeks ago. Anyway, she's apparently been recovering but it's unlikely she, and therefore my Dad, will be going home until Monday at the earliest

And it's been snowing down there, so I'm under orders not to visit as it's thought to be too risky to drive. They seem to have little faith in new-fangled technologies like "gritting"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Morning denizens

No snow here. None. So much for that

Grey out, and not mild at about 1°C

But no snow.
      None here either. It did try around 08:00 as I was getting to client co. But it was just a few dusty flakes and it really didnt seem like it was putting in any real effort.

Currently around 2deg outside, cloudy bit bits of sun getting through.

I dont think the frozen apocalypse is arriving any time soon.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Messing around with Google Streetview again. Click on link below, then move forward by a small amount and a mysterious green, black and white pixellated column appears at right.

Google Maps

I was looking at that road to see if worth walking there. Maybe I won't, don't want to be kidnapped by space aliens.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 1 February 2019, 15:35.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Shopping done

Now for a late lunch of some breaded chicken bits (cold) with a bag of salt & vinegar crisps

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Maybe I won't, don't want to be kidnapped by space aliens.
            Do you not? It would be an interesting experience. Not necessarily pleasant, but certainly one to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Do you not? It would be an interesting experience. Not necessarily pleasant, but certainly one to remember.
              That Zeity chap had an amnesia drug.

Trip home this evening was via the X55.

Tea/dinner was M&S breaded haddock, which, unusually, wasn't cooked to death so was rather nicer than usual.

This evening's first epic was "The Cockleshell Heroes(1955)" being the tale of some Royal Marines & their exploits in blowing the tulipe out of some of the Kraut materiel in Bordeaux using canoes to canoe up the river to the port.

The Cockleshell Heroes (1955) - IMDb

Brave men all. A damn sight braver than I & no mistake.

Tonight's 2nd feature proved to be "The Enemy Below" with Robert Mitchum and Curd Jurgens.

The Enemy Below (1957) - IMDb

I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been falling asleep.

The washing is postponed until the thaw, whenever that's likely to be.

Or I could plumb the machine into the warm feed which would presumably stop it freezing up.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 February 2019, 23:00.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Interesting drive home from Heathrow. Had a bit of fun drifting the car our of corners, but was unable to get it parked in my usual spot due to the amount of snow. Still dumping here, with more to come.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tea tonight has been lamb chops, chips, peas, and gravy; might as well mention the mint sauce too, for completeness' sake. It was exceedingly nice

Still no snow here. The weather app thought there was going to be some earlier, but I think it either changed its mind or the snow was swapped for a bit of drizzle, as it's damp but not white out there

Comment

Rock & chips washed down with Tesco's pear cider, cheap (£2.40) but good.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight's film was Ocean's Eight (2018) and, frankly, it's not very good. It lacks zing, or possibly pizzaz, or maybe both; not much to either the characters or the plot, really. Shame, as the idea behind it could have worked well with a bit more effort from whoever was responsible.

A bit more of The West Wing after that; only one more year of it to go, given that the episode's title was 365 Days

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X