• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Links are up

Comment

Sausage bap (wholemeal) with red sauce for lunch, being Tesco Finest pork sausages that I got with those vouchers

They're OK, but nothing special; need more seasoning.

Comment

Fresh batch of chips into the freezer

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          This evening's epic is very likely to be "The Magnificent Seven" with Mr Washington, as recorded last evening.
          And so it came to pass, after the consumption of a little more of yesterday's roast lamb, the recording of "The Magnificent Seven" was watched, being the one with Denzel Washington (rather than Yul Brynner).

The Magnificent Seven (2016) - IMDb

I enjoyed it despite the number of 1* through 4* reviews.

What I wondered was why no one had a Sharps Big 50 rifle handy, rather than all the rather anaemic 44/40 Henrys and Winchester lever actions.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

What I wondered was why no one had a Sharps Big 50 rifle handy, rather than all the rather anaemic 44/40 Henrys and Winchester lever actions.
            Props department might have run out?

Tea has been a ribeye steak, with some of the aforementioned chips. Very nice

The steak was from the Sainsbury's butchers' counter, via the fridge where they put selected stuff wrapped in clingfilm on a tray so one doesn't have to actually talk to them, and was pretty decent really. Part of a cow from the Highlands, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Tonight's film was Ocean's Eight (2018) and, frankly, it's not very good. It lacks zing, or possibly pizzaz, or maybe both; not much to either the characters or the plot, really. Shame, as the idea behind it could have worked well with a bit more effort from whoever was responsible.

A bit more of The West Wing after that; only one more year of it to go, given that the episode's title was 365 Days

Goodnight all

I will wait for the bargain bucket then thanks.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This evening's main feature, after some more of Hospital during dinner, was The Numbers Station (2013), concerning a couple of CIA people broadcasting coded messages from a bunker at the former RAF Bentwaters who come under attack by mysterious assailants. It has its good moments, but it's all rather bleak. Not a thrilling kind of thriller, really, but if you want something more brooding then it might be worth ninety minutes of your time.

The depiction of how a numbers station operates is completely wrong, though. There's no person sitting at a microphone reading out numbers; somebody did the voice for each digit maybe sixty or more years ago, and the recordings are spliced together for each message. MI6's Lincolnshire Poacher and Cherry Ripe did have the final digit of each five digit group in a slightly raised tone, so it sounded like "five seven one six nine" or whatever, but that's as far as any variation went, and that was just to ensure the end of the group was detectable in case of poor reception. Apart from anything else, the person listening might not even speak English and had to have familiar sounds to make sure they got the numbers right, so using a different voice could break the whole system for one or more assets.

Also, you can't just send out messages at any time. The whole point is that the recipient only listens at certain fixed times for any messages intended for them, like 10PM on Tuesday say (repeated at some other fixed time in case they missed it for some reason). And without giving too much away, that restriction upends the plot entirely.

But if you don't know a lot about numbers stations, you probably wouldn't be as distracted by all that as I was

And then another bit of The West Wing watched.

Goodnight all

Comment

Props department might have run out?
                  Possibly.

Though I don't suppose anyone other than a buffalo hunter would have had one, back in the day.

The 45/70 from the Gatling Gun was almost as deadly if you could cope with the ballistics.

Things one cannot unsee: a "lady" of mature years, replete with cold, rubbing Vic Vaporub on her chest, forehead, back & other places (none of interest) whilst riding on the bus.

Followed by the consumption of a commodious breakfast of at least 4 courses.

Stone me.

This evening's main feature, after some more of Hospital during dinner, was The Numbers Station (2013), concerning a couple of CIA people broadcasting coded messages from a bunker at the former RAF Bentwaters who come under attack by mysterious assailants.
                  But if you don't know a lot about numbers stations, you probably wouldn't be as distracted by all that as I was
                  4 8 15 16 23 42.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 February 2019, 08:10.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Possibly.

4 8 15 16 23 42.
                    This weeks lottery numbers?

Anyway cold n crisp here in Manchester

Happy Tuesdays

Comment

Morning all
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment