• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sardine (in tomato sauce) toasties (white bread) for lunch. Very, very nice

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Indeed. AtW is, one hopes, correct in his prediction
      That's one, I was referring more to the other one.

The Mathematical Genius without so much in the way of grammar.

Tea/dinner this evening was that thing I do with carrots & onions with the remainder of Sunday's roast lamb added in.

It wasn't particularly special this week, which was a tad disappointing.:shrug:

Caught the X5 home again, home again, jiggety jig.

Somewhat undecided as to what to watch this evening, maybe another Duke Wayne cavalry epic would suit, since there's 2 more of the John Ford triple awaiting the dvd player's attention.

As it transpires it's "Fort Apache (1948)" rather than the one in the Bronx.

With Duke Wayne and Henry Fonda.

Fort Apache (1948) - IMDb

<hiatus>

And very good it was too, in glorious black, white, & dust.

Stunning photography of clouds & such like.

Much more enjoyable than yesterday's "Red River" epic by Howard Hawks.
      TFBSZ.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 February 2019, 22:16.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Just went into my office and there was a big wasp flying about. In February??? Took me a while to rescue 'er.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

After much thrashing about (metaphorically speaking), I've finally sorted out the way to fix up the forum database

The problem is that the text encoding was originally defined as, and still is, ISO-8859-1; but it needs to be UTF-8. Since the changes were first applied the other week, it's been sending stuff as UTF-8, which means browsers have been sending that back (e.g. when one posts) and it's been stuffed into the database in that form.

Now, when one tells the database to convert its data from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, it does so, and all the old stuff is converted and everybody's happy. But all the new stuff (since the changes) is already UTF-8, so it gets converted when it doesn't need to be, which breaks it. Normal ASCII text is OK, but things like ™ and … and, should one feel impelled to post it, ☂︎ go completely to pieces. So after the database is converted, things that have been needlessly converted need to be de-converted again.

And I've finally sorted out how to do that, which is non-trivial (as in, a common response when people ask how is "You can't do that, it's impossible" which is only true under certain circumstances, none of which apply here).

So I can now add the needful to the rather large conversion SQL script I've been putting together, and all should be well

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Just went into my office and there was a big wasp flying about. In February??? Took me a while to rescue 'er.
            They're starting early this year then

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Tea/dinner this evening was that thing I do with carrots & onions with the remainder of Sunday's roast lamb added in.
              Leftover roast lamb here too, though nothing as fancy as carrots and onions - I quickly made some roast spuds using the last of the duck fat out of the fridge, and reheated the lamb in with them once they were nearly done, along with the usual peas and gravy. And the last of the Yorkshires; must remember to get some more. Very nice, all in all

Much rain here, which is forecast to carry on through the night

Comment

This evening's entertainment has been S1E5 of Ófærð aka Trapped, and a further episode of The West Wing. Only thirty more of those to go now

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                  Yesterday evening, the client PM requested that since there were so many things on, it would be good if we could be in for 8am today. IT PM says “no problem”, and then once everyone says they can make it, IT PM says “but of course I won’t be there because I can’t get in that early”
                  One of the biggest failings in this project is the IT PM, who has never had a plan, only a go live date, with no acceptance of what is required to get there, and no idea of his own.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Leftover roast lamb here too, though nothing as fancy as carrots and onions
                    And this from the chap who's baked a cake.

Howling gale, terrible wind (from the carrots & onions), and torrential rain overnight.

Sun is now arising through the murk over Margam.

And it's dry & quite pleasant out there in a brisk sort of way.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Grey, blustery, relatively mild.

WFH day today so sat here typing this with a Doggo of not inconsequential size attempting to curl up and sleep in my lap.

She's keeping my knees warm but the snoring and farting are a bit off-putting. ?
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X