• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Danetree?

I'd heard of Sissister for Cirencester, but Danetree for Daventry?

How the language has changed.
    I only recently found out that Godmanchester, which I drove past on the A14 heading to FormerClientCo, is (or was) pronounced "Gumster"

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Bummer. Condolences.
      Thanks. I'd known him for twenty-five years, maybe more. We disagreed, often loudly, about many subjects, particularly politics; but we got on very well despite that, and he was a great source of information on old British films and 1960s music, among many other topics.

I like the fact that in the email telling us of his death sent out by the lady who runs the Neighbourhood Watch, she mentions that she's been down to the pub where he (and I) drank during the last ten years or more, to tell the regulars there of his passing

Comment

New BritBarge[emoji2400] 4.2l V8-ness arrived ScruffTowers. Oops.

Number 4, need to eBay PanzerWagen Number 3 @99p start.

Quick exit...
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Today's late lunch has been chicken and barley soup out of the freezer, with a couple of thick chunks of multi-seed wholemeal bread. Exceedingly nice

Comment

After reading thread on keyless car entry on t'other contractor independent professional forum, I have ordered myself a Faraday pouch.

If it is not his original jockstrap, I will feel cheated

Comment

Feckwhits in the Occupational Health thingy down west have just sent me another appointment for 20th Feb to do, I assume, the same tests all over again again.

I shall enquire tomorrow if they have their heads so far up their arses that they can't see the sun shining.

Out with Strangelove Sis for a meal this evening after she'd inspected the building works next door.

So moderately pissed & £70 poorer, but there you go.

TV this evening was a bit of the last 10 minutes of the Great British Car Journeys thing I forgot about last Saturday and was repeated 20:00 to 21:00 on 4Seven or whatever, followed by the Andrew Marr thing on BBC4 which I tolerated until Bliar appeared, at which point it got turned off in favour of doing the dishes.

I will need an exceptionally good reason to spend another 5 hours of my life travelling to fecking Carmarthen again.

<starts oiling the AK in readiness, lock & load>

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              New BritBarge[emoji2400] 4.2l V8-ness arrived ScruffTowers. Oops.

Number 4, need to eBay PanzerWagen Number 3 @99p start.

Quick exit...
              Is there, perchance, a translation into something resembling English?

It currently looks a bit like Gornese.

In a curious turn up for the book, FB found, and suggested as a friend, a lady with whom I spent many happy hours 25 or so years ago.

I wonder how it did that.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 February 2019, 22:07.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Ribs and chips for dinner

This was delayed somewhat again by work on the Apple TV stuff taking longer than planned. Annoyingly, this wasn't caused by my own dimwittery but by Apple having made an utter pig's ear of their technical documentation for developers

Their docs used to be exceptionally good, but the other year they basically gutted them as part of a redesign, presumably because some designer thought that large blocks of text made the pages look untidy, or not white enough or something. Even more annoying is that you'll be met with some reference material that tells you nothing of the detail you need but which contains a link to what would clearly be a document explaining everything in great detail, but when you follow the link it's been replaced with a redirect to the first page of the reference section you were already in

And a lot of this stuff, especially fairly recent stuff like TVML, can't be found in the Internet Archive for some reason

Anyway, I finally discovered that a certain element will only be rendered if it contains an image; containing a text label isn't enough. Put an image in there, and both it and the text label will then be rendered. This makes no sense at all, and isn't documented anywhere, but at least now I know it I can crack on

I might write the missing documentation myself and see if I can flog it as an ebook or something. Certainly for the topic I was trying to find out about today, there's virtually nothing other than Apple's own abysmal docs; one blog post that re-uses a bit of their example code to test the performance of the technique was all I could find. It's probably a very small market, but hey, there may be a bob or two in it

Comment

Started watching what was described as "a fast-paced thriller". After thirty minutes it still wasn't fast-paced, so I stopped it; it seemed as if it was on the brink of getting moving, so I'll watch the rest of it another time and just have the fast bits. Then an episode of The West Wing, which is starting to head towards its conclusion.

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Started watching what was described as "a fast-paced thriller". After thirty minutes it still wasn't fast-paced, so I stopped it; it seemed as if it was on the brink of getting moving, so I'll watch the rest of it another time and just have the fast bits. Then an episode of The West Wing, which is starting to head towards its conclusion.

Goodnight all
                    Details, Details, it's all in the details.

IMDB ref or it never happened.

The lab is full of golden light, from a Golden Orb rising through the murk over Margam.

Someone left the door to my office open last night and thusly it's only 21 deg C in here at the moment, which doesn't correspond to the otherwise constant 24 deg that is expected.

The Refuse Collection Engineers took away 7 bin bags of crap this morning, leaving one which had split.

They can look forward to seeing it & its companions in a fortnight.

Now to send an email to the OH lot in Carmarthen questioning their sanity.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

A bit of ground frost this morning.

Valentine's Day and all that. Here's a (non-exhaustive) list of actual Valentine's presents I've bought my wife:
                      1. Ironing board - had to be returned due to dent.
                      2. Frying pans
                      3. Vacuum cleaner
                      4. Fridge - you might say that's a bad present, but you should have seen her face light up when she opened the door!
                      5. Tumble dryer
                      6. Pressure washer

I'm sure I'm missing a few. This year she got a feather duster (as it looks like the cleaners have taken the old one).

Who says romance is dead?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X