• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    ^ Call that a crap pile.
    I've just been through a shoebox full of music CDs. Not a single one is mine; they were left behind by my former housemates when they moved out of the place I lived before this. And many of them were giveaways of classic hits from the Daily Mail, with the rest being almost entirely house and hiphop compilations.

They'll be going to the tip with me next time I pop up there

I've just brought the operating systems for an Amstrad 1512 home.

All 4 5.25" floppy diskettes.

I'll have to see if I can get one or other box to boot off them.
    Excellent!

As for my finishing date, it's looking like 31st March.

Didn't you find the sudden change of attitude of Mr Statham rather surprising?
    I didn't say any of it made sense. Making sense is clearly an optional part of the plot development process that they've chosen to skip since the first film

I bet those DVD RWs are all toast and unreadable.
    Apparently not - I'm just copying the sixth of seven containing a backup of my old Toshiba WinXP laptop, from teatime on the evening of January 28th 2006

And the other ones I've tried have been OK. I now have a large array of Adobe Flash .SWF files containing images of every radio presenter across GCap Media's Local Radio Group stations as of 2006. Not sure what good they'll do me, but there's also a bunch of XSLT I wrote knocking around on there

Comment

Just found my backup of the Windows 2000 installation disk

That'll be the one I was given by a friend who worked at Microsoft, which prominently displayed the message "Build for Internal Use Only" or some such when booted in Safe Mode

Comment

And now I have Symantec Recovery Point Browser running in a Windows 10 VM and extracting the contents of my old XP laptop from the Norton Ghost DVD images I just copied to my iMac

The laptop itself is sitting on a box a couple of feet away… but this way is easier

Comment

Following yesterday's less than stellar version of "The Sweeney", this evening's epic was trailed on that dvd, namely "Bullet to the head (2012)" with Sly Stallone, Sarah Shahi ( sadly not in psycho killer "Person of Interest" mode ), someone who apparently played Conan, directed by Walter Hill.

Bullet to the Head (2012) - IMDb

I thought it really hit the spot for what it was, mindless mayhem.

It's difficult to determine what made it so much better than the Sweeney, but I suspect the budget probably helped.

A lot.

Plus the dry humour, of which there seemed exactly zero in the Sweeney.

Oh, and I watched the latest new ep of "The Big Bang Theory" on E4.

Oh, a copy (yet another) of Win 3.0 came home too, on diskette.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 February 2019, 22:07.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Dinner - late due to 2006 laptop shenanigans - has been chicken tikka masala out of the freezer, with the usual rice and naan; well worth the wait

I'm finally starting to see real progress on the using-up of the contents of the freezer; if I avoid buying any meat this week, I should be able to use up most of what's in there, after which I can start planning to fill it up again with fresh stuff

Comment

This evening's film was The Warriors (1979), in which a street gang from Coney Island tries to make their way home from northern New York City as every other gang on their route tries to capture them. A classic (particularly as it's based, via the novel of the same title, on the Anabasis of Xenophon) and well worth a watch IMHO

And then a couple more episodes of The West Wing; it would have been one, but the next one up was the election debate one which was originally broadcast live, twice because of time zones, and it's also worth a watch because live TV always is. They do mess up their lines a couple of times, even though this was the West Coast one so they'd already done it once

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                This evening's film was The Warriors (1979), in which a street gang from Coney Island tries to make their way home from northern New York City as every other gang on their route tries to capture them. A classic (particularly as it's based, via the novel of the same title, on the Anabasis of Xenophon) and well worth a watch IMHO
                I have the requisite two copies of the dvd, as is only right & proper like, and remember seeing it in the cinema back in 1980 or so.

Morning.

Dry.

Golden sunshine streaming into the lab before the oiks close all the blinds to block it out.

Warmer side of notsocold.

AT keyboard & mouse brought in so I can determine if there's anything of mine on some truly ancient boxes.

I seem to have brought the boxes & forgotten the keyboards.

Or I've forgotten where I put the keyboards.

The little old lady who fell over on the bus about a fortnight ago reappeared this morning, sans Doc Martins, and looks as neat as a new pin.

I was getting quite worried, not having seen her for so long.

Must have slept reasonably well last night because I was awakened by the "alarm" when the light clicked on at 06:02.

This despite the lumbago doing its best to feck me up every time I had to change position.

Oh, the wonders of ibuprofen, blessings be upon thy inventor, may he rest in peace.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 February 2019, 08:25.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all the earlier fog has lifted and it's turning in to a pleasant day.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Another sunny day out there, though apparently not quite as warm - around 11°C and rising though, which is reasonable

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I have the requisite two copies of the dvd, as is only right & proper like, and remember seeing it in the cinema back in 1980 or so.
                      I also saw in the cinema. And watched it a few weeks ago on sky.

Apparently it inspired the guardian angels.

Comment

Working...
                      X