• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Been there, was on the bus coming home on a Saturday morning from Tesco, only to find myself sat in front of a pair of elderly ladies talking about colostomy problems.
    Or as the Duchess of Devonshire put it. "The organ recital. Whenever two or more friends of a certain age get together the conversation always starts with the role call of ailments and failing body parts."
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Roast pork cob for lunch

Suppose I'd better start getting ready to head to London. The RAF Club has a dress code, even for visitors to non-club events, which includes a strict no T-shirts rule

No ripped jeans either, though I don't have any of those, or not deliberately. And at least they don't demand a tie (though they do of members in certain rooms at certain times of day).

Anyway, I'll make myself look moderately respectable and rely on my public school charm to carry me the rest of the way
      I find peering through your glasses and muttering "Oh yes, yes of course." when directed towards any particular behaviour, before carrying on regardless, tends to do the trick.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I find peering through your glasses and muttering "Oh yes, yes of course." when directed towards any particular behaviour, before carrying on regardless, tends to do the trick.
        My main fear is running into anybody from school - a few were headed for the RAF, though hopefully they won't recognise me at my age

One of them had said from the age of twelve that he was going to be a doctor in the RAF. I found out, many years later, that he'd achieved his goal, for he was in that programme where Jeremy Clarkson was going for a ride in a Tornado or some such plane. As part of Clarkson's training in case of decompression, my old schoolmate got to lock him in a large steel canister, then suck all the air out; a noble pursuit, and something many people would enjoy doing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          AND the deep-fried Mars bar
          Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          ftfy

Wot?

No mention of whisky? The Water of Life?

:shocked:

Now up to December 1964 in WW, and picture #400 in the funny pictures thread.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 March 2019, 18:50. Reason: All the bottles of Scotch are spelled whisky so I'm going with that
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Wot?

No mention of whisky? The Water of Life?

:shocked:

That’ll be because Whiskey was around before whisky.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Ever since I found there were two spellings I never know now which one is correct.

X7 home again home again jiggety jig.

Bought further supplies of ground nuts for the feathered friends to consume.

Tea/dinner this evening was lentil <pffffft> soup, followed by the sole remaining individual Xmas pud with custard.

It was all Very Nice.

Dunno wot to watch this evening.

Must remember TBBT is on at 20:00.

One might look for another ancient epic, of which I have many.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                oh, no it wasn't

Comment

Dunno wot to watch this evening.

Must remember TBBT is on at 20:00.

One might look for another ancient epic, of which I have many.
                  Which, in the event, turned out to be "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)" being the first film of that Kirk Douglas geezer, with Barbara Stanwyck.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) - IMDb

As it transpires, this is the 2nd dvd I possess of this, and the transfer on this one is fairly dire.

It's noir of a sort.

Soot & whitewash transfer.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 March 2019, 21:12.

Comment

McCall' s at it again................
                    better than all the K-Rap on the BeeB.
                    ho, hum.
                    looks like i'm coming out of retirement<again>.
                    i Do get BoredTM <how do you do that TM thing?>
                    only a three monther, mostly from home, and they Did make an offer which was hard to refuse.

Comment

Just left St. Pancras on the way home after a very enjoyable evening at the RAF Club

Comment

Working...
                      X