• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Pleasingly palindromic
    Nice pali!

Comment

Tea has been some roast corn-fed chicken bits - a thigh and two drumsticks, as the drumsticks were a bit small - with chips and tomato sauce

Sainsbury's don't seem to sell whole chicken legs any more; just packs with assorted thighs and drumsticks. Shame, as I like a whole leg. Serves me right for going to Sainsbury's, I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        This evening's epic was "The Peacemaker (1997)" with George Clooney and Nicole Kidman.

The Peacemaker (1997) - IMDb

It was nicely done.
        I'll add it to the list

Comment

It must be said that I found OUATITW much more satisfying this time around than I remember finding it half a century ago.

I have a copy of "Once Upon A Time In America" on the shelf but I don't think I have "A Fistful of Dynamite".
          Well I thunk wrong coz I just found the dvd in one of the piles in the so called office in the front room.

Stone me, it's all of 2hrs 27mins long.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I'll add it to the list
          It was odd seeing the Twin Towers again.

I remarked that it didn't take a nuke to bring those down.

And it was made a mere couple of years after an ex student from Ye Sloughe of Desponde was implicated in the first attempt to blow them up.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 June 2019, 22:09.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Managed to get my BP down to 134/88

How? You might ask.

Quite easily. I was shaving earlier and lifted a piece of skin off my face about the size of a thumbnail. No idea how. It started bleeding so I put a plaster on it.
            Then The Wife (tm) put a new plaster on it an hour later.
            Tonight she decided to dress it.

One of the sprays was very painful, so I lay down while she finished patching me up. Then I got her to take my BP. Whether it was the pain, or having leaked about 20 pints of blood, I don’t know. But it’s “normal”

In the meantime, my face is scarred and I’m in pain.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Managed to get my BP down to 134/88

How? You might ask.

Quite easily. I was shaving earlier and lifted a piece of skin off my face about the size of a thumbnail. No idea how. It started bleeding so I put a plaster on it.
              Then The Wife (tm) put a new plaster on it an hour later.
              Tonight she decided to dress it.

One of the sprays was very painful, so I lay down while she finished patching me up. Then I got her to take my BP. Whether it was the pain, or having leaked about 20 pints of blood, I don’t know. But it’s “normal”

In the meantime, my face is scarred and I’m in pain.
              <- not for the face scarring and pain, for the BP

Tonight's first feature film was Terminator Salvation (2009) which is… not very good

I'm not sure why it was such a washout; there's plenty of action and some good FX and graphics, but at times they seem to take the place of developing the story. Overall, it just doesn't work, and I came close to abandoning it a few times.

No doubt I'd be able to explain its failings properly if I'd got a degree in Film Studies rather than wasting my time on Philosophy, but as it is I'll just have to sum it up as: meh.

So disappointed and bored was I after that, I needed a pick-me-up and therefore went for a rewatch of Wonder Woman (2017). Now that is how you make a movie! Absolutely cracking stuff from start to finish, and although it is of course crammed with amazing FX throughout, you hardly even realise at the time how out-of-this-world they are, because they're just part of the world you've been drawn in to by the storytelling

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all clear blue skies and sunshine at the top of the hill. Half way through a big walk, to be followed by a midsummer garden party in Berkshire later. (Which means hooning The Toy)
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Grey Blue sky.

Sunless Sunny.

Cold Warmish side of warming up a bit.

CBS.

NovemberAlmost as if it's flaming June.

Breakfast was a small serving (about half of what I'd normally have) of porridge (Tesco 2kg bag for max economy) with some stewed raspberries.

Since none of it had any added sugar it was tart beyond belief.

We shall see shortly how well the Strangelove stomach tolerates this challenge.

Followed, as is only right and proper, by 1.05 pints of Glengettie tea.

I appear to be in the process of following the example of our hairy friend and gradually getting up later & later, it now approaches and indeed passes 09:00.

What it is to be a retired old fart.

<hiatus>

Now in with the hoi polloi in the library.

There's some sort of lecture thing about to begin.

It may be something to do with the exhibition of Jewish History that's been going on all week.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 June 2019, 10:01.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Warm, sunny day out there; quite Simpsonesque in appearance

I appear to be in the process of following the example of our hairy friend and gradually getting up later & later, it now approaches and indeed passes 09:00.
                    You know it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

You know it makes sense

There's some sort of lecture thing about to begin.

It may be something to do with the exhibition of Jewish History that's been going on all week.
                      It was indeed.

There was a synagogue in Neath at one time but the current Jewish population approaches zero, so it's long gone, as has the Swansea one.

There's only one* in South Wales now, which is in Cardiff.

*Or maybe two, since one would be Reform and there's got to be one you don't go to.

As in the Jewish chap on the desert island who built 3 synagogues, the one he went to and the other two he didn't.

Boom boom.

Oddly enough, when Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde was up the hill, I could see the Jewish Cemetery on the top of the hill.

Michael Howard's father was buried there until he was disinterred and moved to a rather more salubrious cemetery somewhere in England following vandalism.

I stood at the back during said talk and my back is reminding me that I did it.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 June 2019, 12:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X