• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So only pays enough for super-monkey-car fuel and Greggs then?
    Just about. I need to get a proper gig on the go soon. If you know anybody looking for a Django/Python dev with extensive front end experience who also knows a lot about HTTP and maps, let me know. Remote/part-time preferred

Comment

Hope there more of ^^ than there are of contracts for s versed in embedded.

Comes to something when you tick every fecking box & still don't get an interview*.

Feck 'em I'll build my sheds instead.

Once I've finished with the spring cleaning.

The box room was half dismantled and vacced.

I can't face emptying the bookshelves & cleaning behind them.

Though I should.

Probly spider central behind there.

*Bet it's coz someone knows me.

<hiatus>

Tea/dinner this evening was that lamb carrots & onions thing.

I seem to have gone a bit overboard on the chili & paprika front in an attempt to make taste of something.

It was nice enough.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 July 2019, 17:36.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Sunny evening now, yet not unpleasantly hot

I'm mucking around with natural language processing

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Comes to something when you tick every fecking box & still don't get an interview*.
          Yeah, there was one the other week for which I was spot on, and it was even in Leicester, which never happens. Applied, and didn't even get an automated "piss off" email

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Yeah, there was one the other week for which I was spot on, and it was even in Leicester, which never happens. Applied, and didn't even get an automated "piss off" email
            half the advertised gigs don't exist.

sainsbury's fish pie for tea/dinner/evening meal/repast.

very nice.

got to decide whether i'm up for two proper gigs <rock 'n' roll> back to back next week.

i still ache everywhere, and haven't learned piccolo yet.

ho hum

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              half the advertised gigs don't exist.
              Cynicism will get you everywhere

HOWEVER… back in 2005, I'd seen a particular gig popping up on JobServe a number of times over a period of more than a month; it was down in Bristol, requiring expertise in XSLT along with the usual front end stuff, which was an unusual combination. But by the way it kept turning up, I had it figured for an agent trawling, as they would surely have found somebody by now.

Then one Monday I found myself looking and, as it popped up again that very day, I sent my CV over. The following morning I was driving down the M5 to Bristol; they asked me to start the following day; and I ended up doing about eight months down there and a further fourteen months or so working for them from home

Comment

I've had similar things happen, once had a teleinterview on a hotel manager's office landline on Skye. <no mobile signal>
                was in Basel two weeks later, for some time

this, however, doesn't help with my piccolo vs premier problem.

Comment

Ribs and chips for tea

Lovely moon outside again

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Then one Monday I found myself looking and, as it popped up again that very day, I sent my CV over. The following morning I was driving down the M5 to Bristol; they asked me to start the following day; and I ended up doing about eight months down there and a further fourteen months or so working for them from home
                    Yes I remember that sort of thing too.

Long time ago now.

The stuff I've applied for is localish & the first lot find people for Gyrus Medicall or whatever they're called these days.

An application I just couldn't stomach & left nauseated after 3 weeks.

I knew I'd made a mistake on the first day when reading a leaflet about benign prostatic hypertrophy & how wonnerful their surgical instrument thingie was.

This evening's first feature was the thing on Smithsonian about the engineering of the Space Shuttle.

Unlike yesterday's epic on BBfeckingC4 this one didn't just stop & turn into fecking tennis with no warning.

The evening's 2nd feature was "A Vigilante (2018)" wth Olivia Wilde.

It wasn't quite what I expected.

A Vigilante (2018) - IMDb

It was ok in an unpleasant sort of way.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      The evening's 2nd feature was "A Vigilante (2018)" wth Olivia Wilde.

It wasn't quite what I expected.

A Vigilante (2018) - IMDb

It was ok in an unpleasant sort of way.
                      I've got that one in the queue.

I suppose I ought to finish this third season of Spiral/Engrenages first though, if I can tolerate the unremitting misery being inflicted on every single character

Comment

Working...
                      X