• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    an hour spent chatting with her over a cup of tea set me up for the rest of the week
    After an hour spent chatting with me people have been recovered from the dock adjacent to Ye Sloughe of Desponde.

Stewth it's a bit warm upstairs in "The Master Bedroom" ().

Moved 3 bookcases out to vac behind & beneath them.

No visible spiders.

Lots of dust under the Georgian chest of drawers.

I'm having a bit of a spell to cool down before the next round of exertion.

I really do have to get rid of some of this stuff.

Oxfam, you won't know what hit you.

But at least this load of stuff should be a bit more salable than the last lot which was mostly textbooks so tedious they'd make your eyes bleed.

Since it's Tuesday, R4 is celebrating by transmitting one of those special Tuesday plays that, should you be so incautious as to listen, end up giving you the urge to cut your wrists.

Today it's about some poor bastard who discovers he's got breast cancer.

Many years ago when working at Philips Semiconductors in Southampton (not there any more because of the Strangelove Jonah Effect(tm)), I was having my tea/dinner in the Travel Inn "restaurant " when some people behind me started talking about some poor bastard who was in the same unfortunate situation.

I've never eaten a meal so fast just to get away from the gory details.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2019, 14:36.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      But at least this load of stuff should be a bit more salable than the last lot which was mostly textbooks so tedious they'd make your eyes bleed.
      sell them to JtB.

he likes tedious.

Comment

Since it's Tuesday, R4 is celebrating by transmitting one of those special Tuesday plays that, should be so incautious as to listen, end up giving you the urge to cut your wrists.

Today it's about some poor bastard who discovers he's got breast cancer.
        That's by Stuart Houghton. He and I have been mutual followers on Twitter for years. He developed breast cancer two or three years ago, hence the play; he's now in remission.

Comment

I'm having a bit of a spell to cool down before the next round of exertion.
          This, again. Phew wot a scorcher.

Since it's Tuesday, R4 is celebrating by transmitting one of those special Tuesday plays that, should you be so incautious as to listen, end up giving you the urge to cut your wrists.
          The play that springs to mind in particular they put out 30 or more years ago when I was in a very dark place and rebuilding that fecking Dutton Phaeces as a bit of activity to keep me going.

It was about, just to add to the joy of things, about some unfortunate agoraphobic depressive lady.

It didn't end well.

So that fecking helped a lot.

Just been listening to some cookery programme on R4.

One of the questions was "Why does the cast iron Victorian range I cook on in work produce food that tastes so much better than the same things I cook in a gas oven at home?

Originally posted by Strangelove Mater
          I do miss my old oven, it used to cook so much better than this electric one
          I, of course, didn't believe a word of it, but she was right.

Coz R4 said so.

Apparently it's all to do with thermal capacity, there being a lot in a big chunk of cast iron which takes a long time to heat up & a long time to cool down, compared with the modern oven made of thin bits of tin.

Very important that the old oven cooked the bottoms of pies to perfection since that's where it was hottest.

The socks were kept in the little top oven & it was A Good Idea to take them out of there before cooking anything down below. <- said socks "What's that funny smell of hot rubber?" as the elastic degrades in the heat.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2019, 14:48.

Comment

UPM is on the warpath again (cause it's 5 mins to the daily update meeting). Testing wasn't something he considered worth doing before go live. He, and the other PMs felt that everything would be just fine.
            And lo, it was not.

Now, 3 months post go-live, he has decreed that everything must be tested to the nth degree and the users must come up with different scenarios to be tested, all of which must be tested separately and evidenced. He is not interested in what the change is, we need to have a 1 hour meeting with the user management to draw up test scenarios, then get it all documented and tested.

I've just had 2 new reports written, very simple ones, that show users where they have made mistakes. The reports are run blind, the users have no control over them. They produce maybe 50 lines of output max. I ran it in test, was able to show every variation of an error. The user is overjoyed.

But no, we can't push it to the live system until UPM has justified his use of oxygen today.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Phew wot a scorcher.

Sitting down again in the coolth (relative) of downstairs.

Gone through another litre of water.

Got to get my value for money from the £500/yr water rates.

Managed to persuade myself not to waste money on talking to the pimp about that Cornwall job.

Having looked at the traffic on the A30 I think I made the right decision.

<hiatus>

Tea/dinner was M&S breaded haddock.

It was very nice.

Dunno what to watch this evening since I can't find my envelope with the options written on it.

I suppose that I'd better make sure that The Master Bedroom is in a fit condition for me to sleep there tonight.

Gosh.

60% probability of rain tomorrow evening.

<hiatus>

This evening's entertainment started with "Atomic Age Declassified" on Smithsonian which turned out to be about spy satellites and the MOL which was the manned version.

They certainly blew up a lot of rockets in the early days, 12 failures in the Corona series before success with #13.

<taps screen>

Is everyone watching Apollo?

Apart from me.

Now we're on to The Enola Gay.

Right, that's Hiroshima, now on to Bock's Car and Nagasaki.

I worked with a chap who was a POW at Nagasaki.

When Japanese visitors came to the plant he had to be hidden away because he hated them so much.

<taps screen again>

<hiatus>

Next up is a thing about the Saturn V on PBS.

I think I've seen this.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2019, 21:09.

Comment

<taps screen again>

Sorry, I've been busy sorting out dinner: roast beef, with the usual accompaniments, and very nice it was

Comment

Partial eclipse of the Moon is looking very fine low in the southeast at the moment: deep shadow over much of it, and deep red for the rest

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Partial eclipse of the Moon is looking very fine low in the southeast at the moment: deep shadow over much of it, and deep red for the rest
                    Probly too low from here there's a hill in the way.

<checks sky>

Yup.

No sign of moon.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2019, 22:04.

Comment

Probly too low from here there's a hill in the way.

<checks sky>

Yup.

No sign of moon.
                      It’s very low this month for some reason. I could only see it because it rose through a gap caused by a side road over the way.

The eclipse is about two-thirds done now, I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                      X