• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Woke at 04:00 with the impression that I could smell burning.
    Apropos of nothing, how's that flickering light you were messing with yesterday?

Comment

Position Vacant - Palace chef

Must be able to cook soup without adding spices.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        While waiting for NickFitz to wake from his slumber, I wonder will MLFTB feature Rev Spooner, on what would have been his 175th birthday.
        Sadly not, as I wasn't aware of the good doctor's anniversary

I will get my coat and leave on the next town drain

Comment

My mother was on the phone just now asking me the best way to make chicken soup in the slow cooker. The pupil has become the master

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I've told the tale before of when I was contracting at GWR-FM in Bristol. On the hottest day of the year, the power went off; the Cabot Centre was being built at the time and the builders had cut the main supply for the entire area. Being a radio station (well, about seventy of them all told, though some were just robots) they had backup generators which immediately kicked in. And, almost as immediately, one of the generators caught fire

I'd only just got down there, as I was mainly WFH at that point. We were evacuated, and the fire brigade put it out, but only having one generator meant they could only just keep up with the demands of the studios, so those of us who weren't DJs were sent home; or, in my case, off to my room at the Premier Inn
            UBS 1991. They decided to test their UPS. During a trading day.

Of course the test did not work and then had no power for most of the day.....

Comment

Jobs you wish you'd never started:

The livingroom light flickers at about 21:00 every evening, but to make sure there wasn't a loose connection in the fitting I decided to have a look inside.

Getting it off was difficult, getting the fecking thing back on worse.

I couldn't understand all the bits of packing (i.e. folded up bits of cardboard until I attempted to get the damn thing back on.

Ill designed barely covers it.

It's hanging on by a thread at the moment and we'll see later this evening if the connections are better now there's crimps on the fecking things.

It'll have to come off again tomorrow so I can fix it back up properly.

Of course it could just be the bulb.
              It's not flickering yet.

But then it's 19:43 not 21:00
              The evening proved to be flicker free.

Which is good.

What is not so good is the prospect of potching about trying to fit the thing back together properlly tomorrow.
              Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Apropos of nothing, how's that flickering light you were messing with yesterday?
              See above.

I've run out of motivation & it'll probably stay there hanging on to the ceiling by one screw for a year or so or until it actually falls off.

The particularly hideous ceiling rose thing is also hanging off.

The poor sod who installed it originally must have had a fun time.

The lack of flickering may be down to the new crimps, or more likely because the bulb is in one of the other two lampholders and not the original one.

Also the glass lampshades are removed so the bulb is running a good deal cooler than it was before.

Cool electronics is happy electronics. <- what unhappy electronics tends to do.

The next book is "Blood, Tears and Folly" by Len "Ipcress" Deighton, being an objective look, apparently, at WWII.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Tears...gateway&sr=8-1
              From the above someone else who did his very effective bit:

Rodger Winn - Wikipedia
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 July 2019, 12:24.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Getting unpleasantly warm out now; 26°C, apparently

Comment

Another tree rat gone. (that's 4 in as many days)

This time after I shot it, Millie picked it up and shook it to confirm it was no more. Thankfully it was a goner, as they have a nasty nip, particularly if they catch a dog's nose.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Still grey and humid here.

The thermometer/clock thing in the front bedroom reckons it's 48 deg F.

I think there's sommat wrong with it.

The endless "tidying up" is ongoing.

Found some books that will be meeting Oxfam when I get A round tuit.

One of said books is that infinitely pretentious tome "The Name of the Rose".

The less said about that pile of tulipe the better.

I'd burn it but it's too thick to bother with.

And then there's the Xmas and birthday card collection.

<hiatus>

The collection of antique VCRs has returned whence it came.

i.e. back under the bed.

This is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

The afternoon's excitement was the uninvited presence of a worker wasp.

She eventually figured out how to go back out of the window she came in through.

I'm not altogether sure of what to do with the cardboard box full of ancient tv service manuals.

They presumably have value for someone.

Oh, and it's still grey outside though the drizzle has abated and it's still, allegedly, 48 deg F in the front bedroom.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 July 2019, 16:24.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

One of said books is that infinitely pretentious tome "The Name of the Rose".

The less said about that pile of tulipe the better.
                      I remember my brother insisting on watching the film one Christmas - must have been Boxing Day 1989. It dragged on forever, even though it's apparently only about two hours long

I'm not altogether sure of what to do with the cardboard box full of ancient tv service manuals.

They presumably have value for someone.
                      South West England Vintage Television Museum

Comment

Working...
                      X