• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening's viewing started with Jackie Brown (1997). Now, call me old fashioned, but I expect a film to take a little less than forty minutes to get to what appears to be the starting point of the actual story. As, at the forty minute mark, not that much had happened, there was still nearly two hours to go, and what had happened could have been done in fifteen minutes, I bailed

Instead, I chose Escape Plan II (2018). The first one of these may have been a little far-fetched, but it was still pretty good. This one was just ridiculous

So, continuing with the escape theme but with something I at least thought was OK last time I watched it, I turned to Escape from New York (1981), which is just OK by usual standards, but was very good in comparison to the previous two wastes of time

Also, it's been restored in 4K since the last time I watched it, so I had the benefit of that, as Apple gives you the 4K upgrade for nowt (unless the owners do something sneaky like renaming it "restored special edition" or some such scam).

The rain has apparently snuck past to the west, so no relief there

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all Millie was convinced there was thunder through the night, so I spent it on the sofa with a trembling and drooling dog watching BBC news.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

Cool.

22.5 deg in here currently.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        This evening's viewing started with Jackie Brown (1997). Now, call me old fashioned, but I expect a film to take a little less than forty minutes to get to what appears to be the starting point of the actual story. As, at the forty minute mark, not that much had happened, there was still nearly two hours to go, and what had happened could have been done in fifteen minutes, I bailed

Instead, I chose Escape Plan II (2018). The first one of these may have been a little far-fetched, but it was still pretty good. This one was just ridiculous
        IIRC I rather liked "Jackie Brown" when I watched it.

Pam Grier.

As for "Escape II", it's looking at me from one of the piles.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

quite possibly with the same glass as was put in in 1880
          It would have been expensive to have glass you'd regard as 'normal' in 1880. IIRC if you can see out of it without distortions it's likely post-1950 when industrial float techniques were perfected. Second picture down in this wiki illustrates the point:

Float glass - Wikipedia

Comment

In with the hoi polloi.

It's warmer in here today because the windows are shut.

On the Rupert front, Pong Ping appears to be the Peke's name.

Can't find the image that's stuck in my mind of the Chinese landscape.

Probably because it doesn't exist.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey, rainy day

And it's down to just under 26° in here (17° out there)

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                It would have been expensive to have glass you'd regard as 'normal' in 1880. IIRC if you can see out of it without distortions it's likely post-1950 when industrial float techniques were perfected. Second picture down in this wiki illustrates the point:

Float glass - Wikipedia
                There are some minor distortions, but it's quite possible the glass was replaced at some point

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  IIRC I rather liked "Jackie Brown" when I watched it.

Pam Grier.
                  I'll carry on with it at some point, but it felt a bit slow for the mod I was in

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  As for "Escape II", it's looking at me from one of the piles.
                  Let me know if it makes any more sense to you than it did to me

Comment

I'll carry on with it at some point, but it felt a bit slow for the mod I was in
                    l:

...unless there’s something you’re not telling us.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In the current tome, we have passed through 1949 and the devaluation of the £ sterling from $4.03 to $2.80*.

It comes as a shock to realise that a half crown was known as half a dollar for a reason.

And into 1950 we go, with the election early in the year.

*Where it stayed until "The Pound in Your Pocket" devaluation by dear old Harold Wilson in 1967.

Not forgetting "The Blue Lamp (1950)" with Jack Warner and that nice Dirke Bogarde.

The Blue Lamp (1950) - IMDb

George Dixon had a good run for a dead man, Evening All, from 1955 to 1976, when he was the oldest Sgt in the police force.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 July 2019, 14:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X