• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    dinner has been haddock and chips from the local chippy.
    minimising washing up, as i'm off to make noise in cloggyland for a long weekend with my old band

thankfully, all the cloggy's i met when living there were much less prone to whining misery than this forum's resident.

i suspect much of the old rock 'n' roll cliches will be indulged in, so wish me luck, chaps.
    Have fun! A long weekend of eating out of Febo sounds excellent

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Have fun! A long weekend of eating out of Febo sounds excellent
      cheers.
      the food will probably be biased towards indonesian nuke cuisine though.

and i'll be nowhere near Amsterdam.

Last edited by BR14; 21 August 2019, 19:52.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        cheers.
        the food will probably be biased towards indonesian nuke cuisine though.

and i'll be nowhere near Amsterdam.

Never fear - Febo's all over the NL: Locaties - FEBO

Handy if you start feeling a little peckish a few hours after the rijsttafel

Comment

Steak and ale casserole from March for dinner, with potato wedges and peas

I had a pleasant surprise earlier. I'd downloaded some old maps (c. 1939) of stream flows and alluvial deposits and what have you in the Mississippi basin from a US Government web site, which it said were "rectified for projection" or some such term. They were in very large TIFF files, and I assumed the rectification was to make them fit on a map, confirmed when I saw that some were rotated by some angle to put north at the top and what have you.

I wasn't sure where to go from there, but a search pointed me to the gdal2tile command, so I ran one of them through that, hoping to figure out how to use it to get a tileset I could put on a map.

And much to my astonishment, it not only produced a tileset, it also generated some HTML files and, when I ran one, it had found the geographical data that must have been encoded in the TIFF files, and there they were, at several zoom levels slap bang over the Mississippi

Perfectly matched, too - I checked round the edges, and things like railways running off the map continued on the modern map tiles underneath

So that's saved me a lot of trouble, and now I can use these really nice colourful maps to produce examples of displaying a web map with selectable alternative tile layers, which is what I wanted to do

Comment

Tonight's movie mayhem was Sliding Doors (1998), which… well, not really my thing, yuppies

Leaving aside the story and the characters, the geography was all over the place. She leaves the Tube (well, a subsurface line) at Embankment, then goes to a sandwich shop in the vicinity of Baker Street on her way to an office near Fenchurch Street. Then later, having gone back to Embankment and missed her train (in one timeline) she goes out to the street where she flags down a cab on a road near Marylebone. None of this makes any sense, and that's just in the first ten minutes or so

Anyway, that's it watched, so it's out of the way now

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Comment

The geography was all over the place. She leaves the Tube (well, a subsurface line) at Embankment, then goes to a sandwich shop in the vicinity of Baker Street on her way to an office near Fenchurch Street. Then later, having gone back to Embankment and missed her train (in one timeline) she goes out to the street where she flags down a cab on a road near Marylebone.
                One of the disadvantages of knowing London well. Johnny English 2 particularly annoys me for that.

Though not as bad as the Italian job 1969. Milk Float on London Wall?

Comment

Tonight's movie mayhem was Sliding Doors (1998), which… well, not really my thing, yuppies

Leaving aside the story and the characters, the geography was all over the place. She leaves the Tube (well, a subsurface line) at Embankment, then goes to a sandwich shop in the vicinity of Baker Street on her way to an office near Fenchurch Street. Then later, having gone back to Embankment and missed her train (in one timeline) she goes out to the street where she flags down a cab on a road near Marylebone. None of this makes any sense, and that's just in the first ten minutes or so

Anyway, that's it watched, so it's out of the way now

Goodnight all
                  Notable point in one of the Thor films where he gets on at Charing Cross and gets told Greenwich is only a couple of stops away
                  Marvel fans are not over that London Underground blunder in Thor 2

Comment

WFH today. Too many meetings this morning, rather than doing time, but at least that means I get to spend more time on CUK!

Comment

Morning all.

Grey.

Wet.

Miserable.

That Zeity chap was always complaining about the geological errors in the Vasquez Rocks.

Last evening's viewing was concluded with a thing on Smithsonian about Japanese spying before Pearl Harbour.

It mentioned some Brits:

Frederick Rutland - Wikipedia

William Forbes-Sempill, 19th Lord Sempill - Wikipedia

But what it didn't explain, because it's largely inexplicable, was why J. Edgar "Mary" Hoover was informed by Popov (the double agent known as Tricycle) of a microdot questionaire from the Abwehr regarding Pearl Harbour but never passed the information on to anyone else.

Very odd.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 August 2019, 08:30.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X