• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    GitKraken licence obtained. A very handy tool.

I still think Git is anonymously named though....
    Linus has said that as he'd named his first big project (Linux) after himself, it seemed only right to do so with the second; hence Git

Comment

On the lumbago front (or should that be back?), my back just emitted a loud click, which, whilst it didn't hurt, is a bit alarming.

I'm also afflicted with formication, being the feeling that insects or some such are crawling over me.

It's most unpleasant.

Unfortunately it's not down to crystal meth.

In other other news, the spider in my bedroom has vanished.

Dunno if it was coincidence but there was another spider creeping up on him/her/it the other night.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Carrying on with these Mississippi maps. The ones that have been rotated to some odd angle have white backgrounds in the resulting non-map triangles, which is no good to me as it obscures the modern map beneath. Also, I think there's some overlap of areas, so they'll have to have a layer each.

Anyway, it turns out another GDAL command line tool can be used to turn the white backgrounds transparent. There's a little sawtooth fringing at the edges, but it's good enough for now

Comment

One of the chickens laid a thin shelled egg this morning, which has just been gently fried, along with one very tasty cep found on this morning’s walk. All being washed down with a glass of 2017 home made wine. Can’t get much more local than that.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

While avoiding doing any work, I came across this interesting article:

Polish village hasn't seen a boy born in nearly 10 years – here's how that computes

This is my kind of stats, where the weird is easily explained away

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              While avoiding doing any work, I came across this interesting article:

Polish village hasn't seen a boy born in nearly 10 years – here's how that computes

This is my kind of stats, where the weird is easily explained away
              Nice one!

sasguru once recommended a book on stats like that.

My favourite is that if you toss a coin 20 times, there is a 25% chance of a run of 5 heads or tails. I would not have expected that....

Comment

And that's "gardening" done for the since it's just started raining.

Branch chopped of the apple tree so I can get in the shed again.

Some more branches chopped off what used to be bushes in a shrubbery.

Ni.

In fact, so successful was one bit of chopping that the entire bush is now history.

Being out there hasn't improved the formication, but at least there really were bugs crawling over me.

Squishing said bugs was quite satisfying.

Now I've cooled off a bit I'll have a shower while I decide what to have for tea.

A couple of days ago I "pruned" the self seeded rose in the front garden.

I suspect I've managed to encourage it.

Maybe it needs a bit more pruning.

It's quite lovely in the spring.

Apparently, after due research, it may be known as "Prickly Wild Rose" which sums it up, really.

8 feet tall and 10 feet across at maturity.

Thank feck I chopped it back a bit.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 August 2019, 15:10.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  Right!

i'm off.

Enjoy!

Comment

Cocktail sausages and a bag of cheese & onion for lunch

Still mucking about with those maps. Having wasted about 45 minutes trying to automate the process of rendering them to tiles in subdirectories, I realised it was quicker, given my fairly limited knowledge of bash, to just create the directory structure myself then set it running

Then I can go back and rename the directories (which are named p10, p12, p15, and p22 after the several collections of sheets) to the types of map they contain: stream flows, sedimentary rocks, something else to do with alluvium, and historical meanders. Something like that, anyway; I'll have to check the Corps of Engineers site to make sure I've got it right.

And with that all done, I'll then stick the lot on GitHub and make it a publicly accessible site via GitHub Pages, so I'll post a link once that's up and running

And then I can use it for the examples on this Maps4HTML thing I'm actually doing it all for

Comment

Lunch transpired to be poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons pumpkin seed toast.

It was very nice.

Tea was chili con carne with rice.

It was very nice.

Followed by yet more stewed blackberries and custard (didn't use soft brown unrefined sugar so it was the proper colour today).

Next came the Good Glengettie Tea as 1.05 pints.

Now watching that nice Larry Olivier telling me about the island hopping across the Pacific.

"The World at War" Pacific: February 1942-July 1945 (TV Episode 1974) - IMDb

Oh, great, we start off with the hero of Coreggidor, the walking ego known as MacArthur.

Arthur MacArthur was the most flamboyantly egotistical man I had ever seen, until I met his son

The hero of Corregidor being the son.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 August 2019, 18:26.

Comment

Working...
                      X