• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met HWMBO in Marylebone. Made our way to the British Museum and expressed dismay at the length of the queue to get in.

Made our way to a local wine bar where we had a few drinks and a mezze plate to kill a few hours. Returned to the BM about 4.30pm and the queues were much more palatable. "I'm a member" being the golden queue jumping phrase of the day.

The manga exhibition was good but not sure it was worth the price they were charging.

We made our way to the Kimpton Hotel on Russell Square where there is a fabulous bar called Fitz's. Several refreshments imbibed. We were going to stroll to a local restaurant but I realised I was that bit too tipsy to appreciate a proper meal. Comfort food was required.

We instead hopped on the Piccadilly line towards home, got off at Gloucester Road and headed towards Bugis Street Brasserie. Looks very basic inside but the food is delish and as close to traditional Singapore cuisine as you're likely to get in London. Cheap too. It's been there 25-odd years so they must be doing something right.

Comment

Tonight's first major motion picture was Rush (2013), concerning the rivalry between James Hunt and Nicki Lauda back in the days when you identified racing cars by which fag packet they looked like. Very good indeed if you don't mind Formula 1, which I don't although I don't really follow it as a "sport"

The actress playing Marlene Lauda seemed familiar; looking her up on IMDb, I found it was Alexandra Maria Lara, who played Traudl Junge in Downfall (2004). So I decided that would be worth a rewatch, particularly as I recently read Frau Junge's memoir, Until the Final Hour. What a brilliant film it is! If you haven't watched it, you really should. I must have watched it at least five or six times now; it's the utter mediocrity and mundanity of the self-proclaimed ubermenschen as their nation is utterly destroyed around them that never ceases to amaze. TBH, I could happily watch it again right now.

I took a photo of Goebbels showing remarkable prescience by talking about B****t:

Goodnight all
      Last edited by NickFitz; 24 August 2019, 04:00. Reason: Really should get Frau Lauda's name right…

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        We made our way to the Kimpton Hotel on Russell Square where there is a fabulous bar called Fitz's.
        Was there a good selection of real ale's? Did it look like a proper local? Did they serve Greggs?

Comment

Morning.

Sunny.

CBS through the gap in the curtains.

Dry.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Was there a good selection of real ale's? Did it look like a proper local? Did they serve Greggs?
            Very much the opposite!

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny out, and rather warm at 24°C

Annoyingly, I forgot to close the curtains in the living room last night, and it's already up to 26.6° in here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Afternoon denizens

Sunny out, and rather warm at 24°C

Annoyingly, I forgot to close the curtains in the living room last night, and it's already up to 26.6° in here
                Beginner's mistake.

I never open my curtains and this window faces north, so a pleasant 21.5 deg in here at the moment.

In other news, The Horror! Oh The Horror!

Met an ex esteemed customer* in Morrisons this morning.

And he's moved to Neath.

Almost halfway through The Tome. I've reached 1960.

The books about Bliar aren't going so well.

I bought those back in 2005, so it's taken a bit of a while to get around to reading them.

Once those are done, then there are more Proper Tomes to read, though they haven't inhabited the bookshelves for quite that length of time.

* Not this one, thank feck:

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 24 August 2019, 12:55.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  In other news, The Horror! Oh The Horror!

Met an ex esteemed customer in Morrisons this morning.

And he's moved to Neath.
                  There goes the neighbourhood

Comment

The stray pork steak that's been lurking at the back of the freezer for ages finally came into its own for lunch: I mixed up a little oil, soy, and five spice, brushed that all over it, then fried it and stuck it between a couple of slices of sesame bloomer. Very savoury

Comment

Looking through the gap in the curtains, there's still a CBS out there.

Surely it's not natural on a BH.

I feel as if I ought to be doing something productive, but oddly enough, I can't be arsed.

I think I'll have chili con carne for tea.

Twice in a week.

Who'd have thunk it?

Which reminds me I've got to get the meat out of the freezer for lunch tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X