• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just added a reference to an 1897 issue of Punch in an edit I made to W. W. Jacobs' Wikipedia page 14½ years ago. Nobody had ever got around to adding [citation needed]; I'm glad they had faith in me to sort it out in the end

Comment

Dog walked. Sunday Lunch consumed.

Roast Beef etc.etc. at a local pub. Very nice it was too. It's one of those places you don't go to for a drink, unless you like lager or gin and tonic. Technically still a pub, but only just.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

This time 20 years ago (the equivalent Sunday, not the precise date), I was getting ready to set off for the train down to Cheltenham for the third week of a contract down there. IIRC, this was the week they finally sorted out a desk for me

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          This time 20 years ago (the equivalent Sunday, not the precise date), I was getting ready to set off for the train down to Cheltenham for the third week of a contract down there. IIRC, this was the week they finally sorted out a desk for me
          That wasn't Modemetric I take it.

Following on from the excitement of the Sunday shop I got the garden fork out of the salting house and did a bit more preparation for the new lawn extension.

Feck me the roots of the assorted tulipe that used to be there are a grade A pain and no mistake.

I think the accursed honeysuckle is the worst following on from the bush.

An hour and a half of that was enough for one day.

Listened to The Archers version of The Canterbury Tales whilst doing it, followed by our Mariella interrogating Robert Harris over his new speculative fiction future history.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-No...s=books&sr=1-1

But of course it's not "SF" coz he's A Proper Novellist.

BBC Radio 4 - Open Book, Robert Harris

Take that, Walter M. Miller (A Canticle for Liebowitz which covers very very similar ground, though in that case it was a post nuclear holocaust rather than some undefined collapse of Western Civilisation).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canticle-Le...s=books&sr=1-1
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 September 2019, 16:31.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            That wasn't Modemetric I take it.
            No, I went to talk with them in 2000

This was at AssureSoft, working on their new thingy AssureWeb, which allowed Independent Financial Advisors to get instant quotations for things like pension plans and what have you. It used XML on the back end for communication with the financial services providers' systems that actually calculated the quotes, which was seriously advanced for the time

I believe they were bought up by Eagle Star, whose HQ was about three minutes' walk up the road, a few years later. Googling them now reveals naught but people's CVs and LinkedIn accounts, including that of the Managing Director who was unceremoniously ejected one day in November and replaced by some youngish hotshot in an expensive suit. He gave all the developers, who were on the ground floor of the Georgian building in which the company was based, a pep talk about how they were the most important people in the business and everything depended on them (presumably including me temporarily). Then he went upstairs to address the sales and marketing people; one of the permie developers sneaked up there for a listen and reported back that he said exactly the same thing to them

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Take that, Walter M. Miller (A Canticle for Liebowitz which covers very very similar ground, though in that case it was a post nuclear holocaust rather than some undefined collapse of Western Civilisation).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canticle-Le...s=books&sr=1-1
              i really liked that book.

cold ones in the pub garden consumed.

<lager, 'cos i can't stand the tepid gungy sh1t they call 'real ale', any more than i can stand the brown corduroy evangelist twats wot drink it.>

pleasant afternoon, all in all.

might have a V&T while contemplating dinner.

Last edited by BR14; 15 September 2019, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                i really liked that book.
                There's a sequel which I have somewhere or other, unread of course.

I think Canticle is in a plastic box down in the garage, probably being consumed by damp.

On which happy note I suppose I'd better put some clothes on & make tea.

Which turned out to be a Ginsters Chicken & Mushroom slice with scrambled egg & poached tomato on Morrisons pumkin seeded toast.

It was very nice.

Followed by 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

Yum.

In other news, one of the eggs was cracked so it got given to the jackdaws. I'm sure they'll be pleased.

In other other news, I've dressed.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 September 2019, 17:00.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

A road near here keeps having to be closed because of this lot pulling possibly explosive stuff out of the canal/river: The hidden dangers of magnet fishing - BBC News
                  I read that article the other day. Never heard of it before. Fascinating how much stuff criminals dump.....

Comment

Not sure whether what I just ate was tea, dinner, or even a late lunch, but one thing it definitely was: breakfast! A lovely big fry-up, and very nice too

Comment

Not sure whether what I just ate was tea, dinner, or even a late lunch, but one thing it definitely was: breakfast! A lovely big fry-up, and very nice too
                      with sauce??

Comment

Working...
                      X