• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^I've got a toasting fork, property of Strangelove GrandMater.

My dear sister threw it away & I rescued it* from a black bag 9 months later.

It was used to toast stuff on the coal fire.

Toast has a different flavour when coal or wood fires do the business.

Not recommended for use with electric fires.

Another 2 hours of gardening done.

Lovely afternoon too.

*It needed a lot of rust remover before it looked more or less ok.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Well there's a strange thing.

Someone from a family engaged in the struggle for Indian Independence to the extent of killing a couple of the Evil British, then comes to this country to live.

BBC Radio 4 - Short Cuts, Series 20, Family Ties

I still can't figure out this sort of thing.

Then there's the thing at 17:50ish on PM about clearing the parents' house.

I found that bringing back memories of spending three fecking weeks clearing out next door with approximately an hour and a half of help from the new owners.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 September 2019, 17:23.

Comment

The bot that tweets pages from old computer magazines tweeted a review of Night Hunter from 1989!

YORE COMPU​TER 🕹 on Twitter: "1989:

ST Amiga Format - Issue 08 (1989-02)(Future Publishing)(GB), page 62

https://t.co/3W4LhhMxWl… "

It’s of the original ST version, but says the Amiga version was due in March. I’m pretty sure I hadn’t even started work on the Amiga version in March 1989…

And I’m fairly sure the reviewer hadn’t played any more than the first couple of levels, from what they say.

Comment

Tea was M&S breaded haddock.

It was nice enough, followed by 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The first feature was "47 Ronin (2013)" with that Keanu Reeves.

47 Ronin (2013) - IMDb

It's rather good.

And following on from that is "World War Weird" which is starting off with The Spear of Destiny as featured in "Constantine".

Followed by Prof. R.V. Jones and the battle of the beams, Fat Herman's brother, and Porton Down killing soldiers by mistake.

Sadly, no more chicken warmed atom bombs though.

The pus thing "Bad Skin" is on Quest Red at 22:00.

I wonder if this one is a repeat.

<hiatus>

It wasn't, the usual selection of lipomas, zits, hyperhydrosis sufferers, etc.

Followed by a programme which includes someone who cries blood.

TFBSZ. <- not blood
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 September 2019, 22:05.

Comment

Roast shoulder of lamb for tea, with the usual trimmings. Very tasty

It was a knuckle half meaning the rest of the meat will be slightly stringy, so I might make Scotch broth with it, to squirrel away against the winter nights.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              ^I've got a toasting fork, property of Strangelove GrandMater.

My dear sister threw it away & I rescued it* from a black bag 9 months later.

It was used to toast stuff on the coal fire.

Toast has a different flavour when coal or wood fires do the business.

Not recommended for use with electric fires.
              My great aunt (who was more like a grandmother in many ways, our actual grandmother - her sister - having died when my Mum was eight) collected metal ornaments and things and got hold of a toasting fork from somewhere. As she still had coal fires at that time, we occasionally went there for tea and used her toasting fork for making toast on the fire. This must have been when I was about six or seven

When she had gas fires fitted, not long after, she asked the fitter if it wasn't possible to keep one hearth open as we liked doing that, but it seems it can't be done

Comment

Watched part of E3 of Rise of the Nazis whilst dining, but tonight's main entertainment was reading The Rats by James Herbert. I remember this circulating at school around the time it came out (1974) but never read it myself. Having now done so, all I can say is I'm glad I didn't read it while the mouse infestation was ongoing

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all if all there be

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS as far as I can tell through the gap in the curtains.

Cooler.

17.9 deg C in here this morning.

Brrrrrrr.

It seems like only yesterday it was 10 degrees warmer at 27.

Comment

Very cold cycle today.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out, but a tad chillier than it has been at 10°C

Within, the temperature has dipped to 19.9°C; I shall start unpacking the wooly jumpers soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X