• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Yes, I did that when I was too decrepit to go to the shops, though in my case it was due to surgery and I'm better now
    I do it because i'm a lazy fecker, and i can.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      The company I work for has just been bought out. Of course, there will be no change. Yeah right....
      Well, they will give it a year or two and then there will be much change once they start "integrating".

My mum used to work for HiTek Power (they used to make high voltage batteries and the like) and saw the place change massively after they were taken over by a US firm who shipped all the jobs out to Germany, IIRC. They left the place alone for two years after the buyout.

Another firm I worked at was also bought out and left alone for two years before changes started. I wonder if it's something that gets written into the sale contract to offer a modicum of stability to the staff?

Comment

This morning was off to misty start when I cracked an eye open at 0730. It's now clear and sunny albeit a little chilly.

Not working today, enjoying lazing about.

Comment

Off to do the shopping
          Me too, after the hoi polloi thing.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          Just had mine delivered

I'm turning into the little old man who talks to the cashier because that's the only interaction he has all day.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Just seen some of those climate change protesters going through Liverpool Street station.

Maybe I should have killed them to help the planet?
          Paging Mr Zeitghost, paging Mr Zeitghost.

I gave up and went for the two nearest me
          K.I.S.S.

Yes, I did that when I was too decrepit to go to the shops, though in my case it was due to surgery and I'm better now
          Wot's this 'ere ear?

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          I do it because i'm a lazy fecker, and i can.

See comment above.

In other news, a nice selection of junk foods reduced in Morrisons, Ginsters Cornish Pasties, Scotch Eggs, Cornish Brie (.

Should keep me going until Monday.

Also found some more dvds, looks like someone's been donating.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Well, they will give it a year or two and then there will be much change once they start "integrating".

My mum used to work for HiTek Power (they used to make high voltage batteries and the like) and saw the place change massively after they were taken over by a US firm who shipped all the jobs out to Germany, IIRC. They left the place alone for two years after the buyout.

Another firm I worked at was also bought out and left alone for two years before changes started. I wonder if it's something that gets written into the sale contract to offer a modicum of stability to the staff?
            It gives all the smart and competent - and therefore well-paid - people a chance to get out while the getting's good; no need to pay redundancy if they leave voluntarily. Then they're left with the dimwits, which gives them the perfect reason to shut the whole thing down at a lower cost in redundancy payments, while retaining the IP or customers or whatever it was they really bought the place for

Comment

whatever it was they really bought the place for
              Frequently just to get rid of competition.

And then:

In a final betrayal of the Cadbury brand, Kraft has quietly abandoned its promise to stick with Fairtrade | The Independent

Never trust a Septic.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 September 2019, 11:12.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

If there was any union presence for the permies then part of the deal would have been 2 years of not ******* about with things "No immediate changes and further consultation in 2 years time" followed by wholesale dismemberment the minute the two years are up.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Scotch broth in the slow cooker with the remains of the other evening's roast lamb

It was only a small joint, so there'll only be three or four bowls out of it. That's plenty to be going on with though

Comment

Apparently jobs have to be protected for a year afterwards and benefits the same.

Though as I am doing AWS, docker, git, c# I am not too worried.

Comment

It gives all the smart and competent - and therefore well-paid - people a chance to get out while the getting's good; no need to pay redundancy if they leave voluntarily. Then they're left with the dimwits, which gives them the perfect reason to shut the whole thing down at a lower cost in redundancy payments, while retaining the IP or customers or whatever it was they really bought the place for
                      Amusingly the company I work for bought the unit I work for from another company 2 years ago for the IP. Then discovered they could not rip out the IP easily!

I do wonder if the new company doing the buying out knows what they are doing.

I suppose I am just another pawn on the chess board of modern corporate life....

Comment

Working...
                      X