• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Very probably.

I watched some of the TV stuff way back in the day but it never really innerested me, much like the movie really.

Von Daniken must be proud.
    ah yes.

reminds me of one of my favourite put downs.

Cargo cult programming

Cargo cult programming - Wikipedia
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I see one of DrS's issues has made the news

New bus passes: Website still down after 10 days - BBC News

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny out, and already 21°C

I hope people are enjoying it, as overnight it will all turn to cloud and rain for a week or more

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Very probably.

I watched some of the TV stuff way back in the day but it never really innerested me, much like the movie really.

Von Daniken must be proud.
          It might be that I started watching a series or so in, and was confused by the sudden appearance of the Goa'uld since the baddy in the film was supposed to be the last of a dying race or some such (assuming I was awake when that bit of the film was on).

I was equally puzzled when Gallifrey suddenly appeared at the end of the 60s.

And it's never stated in the film that the spaceship drivers weren't the originators of the Stargate.

There's a lovely SF (proper SF not Hollywood "SF") story about a transmat device and how someone is documenting the history of this and discovers that originally the users had 10 digits but the current users only have 8 digits, the premise being, I suppose, that the originators of the system got replaced when they ventured to one planet too many.

It's a variation of "Big Ancestor" in its way.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 September 2019, 13:28.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Comment

The Scotch broth turned out nice again

One bowl eaten, and three for the freezer. It's very peppery, which I like, even though for many years I didn't use much (if any) pepper in my cooking at all

And the spare lamb shank plus red wine and redcurrant sauce is also safely freezing.

Quite a hectic day for cooking yesterday, all in all

Comment

Evening all :

CBS gone.

Cloudy.

Grey.

Sunless.

Hour and a half of potching about in the garden done.

Tea this evening was spag bol.

The bol came out of the freezer and from the look of it, some of the mince had stuck when I fried it, which was rather unpleasant.

Managed to eat one of the pears off my tree which had finally ripened.

Like the curate's egg,it was "good in parts", the good parts being very nice.

All rounded off with 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

Now to decide what amusements can be enjoyed on the television this evening.

Which is "Bad Ass 2: Bad Asses (2014)" with Danny Trejo and Danny Glover.

Bad Ass 2: Bad Asses (Video 2014) - IMDb

Which was suitably amusing.

The 2nd feature is "LA Confidential (1997)" with Kevin Spacey, Russel Crowe and Guy Pearce.

L.A. Confidential (1997) - IMDb
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 September 2019, 20:09.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It's H. G. Wells's 153rd birthday

Just read a couple of his early short stories in honour of the occasion

Comment

Went to an old boys commemorative piss up today.

it was.

i am.

sainsburys 'taste the difference' chicken jalfrezi, i think, for dinner.

<hic>

and whatever krap i can find on freeview tv.

ho, hum.

somebody has to do it

Comment

The usual Chinese for dinner and, as usual, very nice

Reason for not being busy: "People aren't doing anything at the moment, {Indian takeaway a few doors up} isn't busy at the moment either" - which then turned into a lengthy disquisition about the state of the nation, with particular reference to the mood of the people and how they never seem to be happy now, the way they used to be when she had a restaurant in town, and other such matters, which continued without break until my food was ready

Made a change, and I'm not saying she's wrong

Comment

Working...
                      X