• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just popped round to the GP’s to book a flu jab. I was able to confirm that even with my hearing aids in, which give me auditory superpowers far beyond the capabilities of mere mortals, I can still only work out what the receptionist is mumbling from behind her glass screen on the third time of hearing

Grey out now; there have been, and I suspect will be, showers

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Just popped round to the GP’s to book a flu jab.
      And I’ve just noticed that my appointment is at 14:22, which seems oddly precise

I might turn up at 14:20 and take the risk of having to wait two minutes

Comment

There’s a fair few conkers scattered around beneath the chestnut trees now. A good harvest this year; they look plump and healthy

Comment

A while before it got dark, the sun came out and it all looked very pleasant. Just looked outside and it was a trap: it’s raining again.

Comment

There’s a fair few conkers scattered around beneath the chestnut trees now. A good harvest this year; they look plump and healthy
            I've planted three to see if they germinate.

Lunch was beans on Morrisons multiseeded toast.

Nice enough, with the statutory 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

Tea, on the other hand, was M&S breaded haddock.

Nice enough, followed by the usual 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

The weather has alternated all afternoon between monsoon, sunshine, wind, monson with rain, hail, and murrain of beasts, plus the odd rainbow thrown in for good measure.

More importantly, BTVS has arrived at the S2 Ep entitled "Ted".

Not one of my favourites despite John Ritter guesting in it.

The immediately preceding double ep introduced Kendra, and the following one is Bad Egg, again not a favourite.

A while before it got dark, the sun came out and it all looked very pleasant. Just looked outside and it was a trap: it’s raining again.

Ain't it just.

The racket the hail made on the leanto roof was almost deafening.

On the topic of "wot's this 'ere ear", I'm pleased to announce that the zit seems to be departing.

The evening's televisual feast was rounded off with S1E22 of "Joan of Arcadia" which was rather better than many of the eps have been.

Beginning to suspect that this, as with Jeremiah was a thing of its time which hasn't aged particularly well.

The contrast with BTVS is striking, though I was amused to see a pack of 3.5" diskettes being bandied about.

The eye candy in BTVS is rather more fetching too, I'd forgotten the skirts were so short, quite reminded me of my long departed youth of 50 years ago.

Just fed the neighbour's cat.

I think the poor thing is feeling abandoned.

Dunno where the litter tray is hidden so I'll have to buy one & some kitty litter tomorrow.

Feck me it's pretty gross in there.

My house is untidy but at least it's clean.

I wonder if the food left lying around will have developed blueness by the time they return a week Sunday.

My late mater would not be at all impressed.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 October 2019, 22:14.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

afternoon of exercise done.
              much noise made.
              young folks entertained, and, in some cases, hopefully, inspired.

knackered now.
              wish i'd picked up a flute rather than bashing things back in the day, but, hey.

it's only rock 'n' roll, but i like it.

in other news, dinner has been steak and kidney pie <local butcher's>, chips, peas and lashings of , you guessed it, - HPsauce.

oh, and a nice Rioja.

very nice.
              cue lou reed.

Comment

Tea has been ribs and chips, with an experimental new BBQ sauce recipe involving mango chutney. Verdict: extremely nice

Quick version of the recipe: finely chopped a medium onion, and fried it in a goodly amount of olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat for twenty-odd minutes. Towards the end of that time, chucked in a finely-chopped clove of garlic (a big one). Then added a couple of dessert spoonfuls of brown sugar, two or three of cider vinegar, one or two of Dijon mustard, and three or four or maybe five of mango chutney. Good-sized dash or two of Worcester, naturally. Splash of water. Simmered for a while as the ribs, which had been cooking under foil for about three hours at gas mark 2, came up to gas mark 5. Poured the sauce over, and back in the oven (foil off) with occasional basting for about forty-five minutes, so it had reduced loads and caramelised all over the ribs. Sorted

That’s enough for half a dozen decent-sized ribs making two portions, so scale as needed if making more.
                Last edited by NickFitz; 18 October 2019, 20:57. Reason: Forgot the water.

Comment

Tea has been ribs and chips, with an experimental new BBQ sauce recipe involving mango chutney. Verdict: extremely nice

Quick version of the recipe: finely chopped a medium onion, and fried it in a goodly amount of olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat for twenty-odd minutes. Towards the end of that time, chucked in a finely-chopped clove of garlic (a big one). Then added a couple of dessert spoonfuls of brown sugar, two or three of cider vinegar, one or two of Dijon mustard, and three or four or maybe five of mango chutney. Good-sized dash or two of Worcester, naturally. Splash of water. Simmered for a while as the ribs, which had been cooking under foil for about three hours at gas mark 2, came up to gas mark 5. Poured the sauce over, and back in the oven (foil off) with occasional basting for about forty-five minutes, so it had reduced loads and caramelised all over the ribs. Sorted

That’s enough for half a dozen decent-sized ribs making two portions, so scale as needed if making more.
                  next time i've got an afternoon gig, how much do you charge to have dinner ready when i get back, knackered?

free rioja chucked in, of course

Comment

Dinner this evening was courtesy of Bugis Street Brasserie. A very unassuming looking place that's part of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel by Gloucester Road station but, boy, is the food good. It makes Jay Rayner happy so it can't be all bad:

Bugis Street Brasserie, London | Jay Rayner | Food | The Guardian

HWMBO and I then very shamefully failed to find a drink on a Friday night. Thought we'd try a local hotel bar - closed, looked abandoned - then another one that was on the way home - closed for refurbishment. Headed back home and opened a bottle of wine instead. We were sat just as the rain started, it was obviously meant to be this way.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Dinner this evening was courtesy of Bugis Street Brasserie. A very unassuming looking place that's part of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel by Gloucester Road station but, boy, is the food good. It makes Jay Rayner happy so it can't be all bad:

Bugis Street Brasserie, London | Jay Rayner | Food | The Guardian

HWMBO and I then very shamefully failed to find a drink on a Friday night. Thought we'd try a local hotel bar - closed, looked abandoned - then another one that was on the way home - closed for refurbishment. Headed back home and opened a bottle of wine instead. We were sat just as the rain started, it was obviously meant to be this way.
                      ceann-uidhe

Comment

Working...
                      X