• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon denizens

Unexpectedly sunny out

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    While you were peering out of the fourth floor window did you notice any little red laser dots on you?

Coz there very probably were.
    I didn’t spot anything untoward, but I assumed I was under close observation from nearby vantage points whenever I leaned out

I wonder what I was working on at the time? From the reference to jQuery, which was still quite new at the time, it might have been the first draft of the TfL traffic camera map for the Capital Radio web site

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Interesting(inneresting?) article on A470.

Driving in Wales: Why the north-south road is so slow - BBC News

I drove end to end recently. Awesome drive.

Personally I would like the route kept as it is. Amazing drive. I understand concern of people in North Wales who feel cut off from the Capital though....
      I assume that if the “stretches for overtaking” are built, they’ll immediately and perpetually be occupied by HGVs that can manage 57mph overtaking ones that can only do 56mph

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I assume that if the “stretches for overtaking” are built, they’ll immediately and perpetually be occupied by HGVs that can manage 57mph overtaking ones that can only do 56mph
        or Dutch mobile homes like those that clog scotland

Comment

Breakfast/lunch/whatever of a sausage and bacon bap (wholemeal, red sauce). Very nice indeed

It also helps deal with the slight overload of wholemeal baps in the freezer, caused by Sainsbury’s seducing me with extra Nectar points if I bought more when I already had enough to be going on with

Comment

The Queen supposedly attended the world premiere of this one, which happened at the Leicester Square Odeon, with all the posing for the paparazzi happening directly beneath the windows of the office I was working late in at Capital Radio; so the occasion was immortalised in TPD:
            Turns out that happened in the midst of a very hectic fortnight for me at Capital Radio; so bad, in fact, that they got an extra five unbilled hours out of me on the Friday afternoon:

Evening denizens

Gawd, what a day that's been

Just made it in from the motorway - I didn't get to leave at 13:00 as planned, instead finally getting away at 18:15
            The Thing That Needed Doing before I left on Friday was a microsite and voting system for the Capital Radio Awards 2008. You might expect these industry awards to be planned out months in advance, but in fact I was given two weeks to do it, as the marketing department had apparently just decided to run the awards that year out of the blue, having not bothered with them for the preceding two or three years

The voting system (for it was to be you, the listeners, who decided) had to be implemented from scratch in PHP, as the ops people needed to stand up a server for the site at equally short notice, including getting the hardware and taking it down to Telehouse East to stick it in a rack, and only really knew how to set up PHP and MySQL. It had to be secure, as we were gathering the punters’ names and email addresses, and proof against vote stuffing by fans and record company marketers. And it was only on, I think, the Thursday before the above post that they told me it was going to be launched by Johnny Vaughan on Monday morning’s breakfast show, so if I didn’t want to be stuck in London over the weekend, I had to have it ready to go live before I left on Friday

Which I did

And having finally made it home, I went to the chippy:

I just had chicken & mushroom pie & chips - a Pukka Pie, of course

Comment

Though I was still having a better week than Diver

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              Well, I've really done it this time.
              Chopping up old timbers on the big power saw on friday, and a nail in the timber caught my glove and dragged my left hand into the saw blade.

Sawed through the back of my hand. cut through the index finger bone, thumb and middle finger bones. severed the tendons for the index, middle and the next finger. nicked half through the thumb tendon and vein, and stripped the skin from the back of my hand.
              they flew me up to Morriston hospital in Swansea to the plastic surgery unit.
              those wonderful surgeons managed to save my hand and all my fingers.
              they sent me home this morning because I wouldn't stay in bed anyway.
              in plaster now up to the elbow, and will be for the next six weeks.

Comment

Just been for a constitutional up to the Moss House Reservoir & back.

Used to do this daily at one time, back when the forestry was still there and the paths were walkable without gumboots.

It's changed a bit since then, my mate Percy popped his clogs (used to live in Fairyland House), his shed has gone though his garage is still there, his enormous bay tree is no more, the entire forestry plantation is felled, the paths are ruinous, one of them now has 3 feet high steps in it so basically impassable.

No one seems to have trimmed the hedges for yonks so it's like a green tunnel in places.

In other news, for those who might be innerested, The Oak Island Nutjobs are back on Blaze tomorrow, Sunday, at 21:00 to 23:00.

It's a new series so maybe we'll see something get found this season.

Or not.

As the case may be.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I had a shower and, upon emerging, found that there was a shower going on outside. Some kind of sympathetic magic at work?

Comment

Lunch was that poached tomato and scrambled egg thing.

It was nice enough.

Tea was spag with that bol I extracted unexpectedly from the freezer compartment of the fridge.

It tasted ok with a random mixture of wholemeal and normal pasta.

Followed as is only right and proper by 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

Yum.

Somewhat stuffed now.

On the BTVS front, just watched "Surprise" which ends with Angel having his moment of true happiness. <cough>

No good shall come of this.

And The Judge has been reassembled which leads to one of my absolute favourite moments in televisual history:

I can watch that again and again and again and again.

Why does The Judge remind me so strong of our vainglorious PM?
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Having discovered at 6am Monday morning in the peeing rain that my car battery was dead, I called RAC (cover courtesy of my bank account) this morning for a jump start and pootled down to Kwik Fit in Fulham for a new battery. The last one having been fitted in March 2014 and only about 5,000 miles driven in the intervening period. A match was on at Stamford Brook so it took a while to get there with Fulham Road being partially closed. Funny how you never normally worry about stalling a car until you know that stalling will mean being stranded somewhere really annoying with impatient London drivers being grumpy at you.

Comment

Working...
                      X