• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I have a tendency to put off things like tax returns until the last minute because of this vague feeling that they’ll be a right pain to slog through, then they end up taking about five minutes tops

I think we’re just culturally conditioned to expect things like that to be a pain to do, despite all experience to the contrary [emoji33]

OU assignments probably do involve a bit of effort, though
    The minor tedium with the VAT return is just me bothering to do my expenses part and check my receipts. Everything else does indeed only take about 5 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed on the FRS.

The OU assignment is probably about 4 hours of effort if I focus.

Comment

I’ve got some 5m network cables on the way from Amazon today. I got fed up of backups of the laptop and transfers of large files taking so long, so yesterday I finally got around to plugging in the 8 port switch I bought ages ago*, and now I just need the cables to get everything hooked up

* Checking my Amazon order history, I see it was three years ago, all but two days. It cost me £13.99, and is now priced at £16.49 reduced from £18.99. So it seems I got a bargain, even if I did then leave it lying around doing nothing for nearly three years

Comment

3 year?

Pah! That's nothing.

I've got a PLC upstairs that StrangeloveLtd bought in 1999 for no readily apparent reason.

It's still in the box.

There's a VHS/dvd recorder thingie sitting under the kitchen worktop that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago from some bunch of fly by nights called Maplin.

It probably doesn't work any more.

And I'd forgotten about the Lexmark printer bought in a sale from the old Currys in Swansea for £18 round about 2002.

That's still in the box too.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          And I'd forgotten about the Lexmark printer bought in a sale from the old Currys in Swansea for £18 round about 2002.

That's still in the box too.
          Think of the money you’ve saved on ink

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Think of the money you’ve saved on ink
            Aye, not to mention the money I've saved on ink for an A3 HP inkjet that was taken out of the box, connected to a PC and that's as far as it ever went.

The idea was it would print A3 schematic diagrams but that idea never transpired into actuality.

Comment

Om.

Following the walk up to the viewless point, a little more "gardening" transpired, inasmuch as more of the pile of detritus got put into the 4 green waste bags ready for a trip down the dump next week sometime.

Comment

Dusting done. Second bed linen load in the WM

No 'work' done as yet. Lemmings has been too distracting.

Just noticed that my packet of dark chocolate digestives has an expiry date of 16 November 2019 so I made a cup of coffee so I can eat a few.

Also noticed that many of the gin offers on at Waitrose are available via Ocado so added some bottles to the order coming tomorrow morning.

Comment

**Breaking news**

I have opened the Open University book!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    **Breaking news**

I have opened the Open University book!

I had a late light lunch of a small fry-up, to stave off the pangs until it’s time to go to the Chinese

Then I wandered up to the Amazon Locker to collect the network cables, which arrived a little while ago. I now have my iMac, MacBook Air, Apple TV, and Samsung telly all set up with wired connections

Comment

Tea this evening was spag bol, the bol being of last week's manufacture.

I thought I'd got the chili con carne by mistake judging by the heat of it, but it really was bol.

Rounded off with 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

It was all very nice.

Followed in turn by BTVS S5 E16 "The Body" being one of the sadder episodes.

Now watching "Great British Car Journeys " on 4, this one is the A30 from that London to Land's End.

They've experienced two ancient motor cars, one from 1900 which gets 3hp from 3 litres and the much more efficient Ford Model T which gets an astounding 20hp from 3 litres.

Never mind the power feel the torque.

Comment

Working...
                      X