• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No late snack had after all but I am slowly making my way through the bag of M&S toffee I bought the other day.

Ended up watching the last three episodes of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 followed by the first two of Season 5. They went from a diner to sometime in the future where something has blown the earth to smithereens and there's not much humanity left. So, business as usual.

I also did some of my OU assignment. I have left one multipart question, that requires me to read something about chromatin, and an essay to write about the structure of proteins.

Comment

TFBSZ

No closer to present ideas (although the picture thing was nice, last year I was given a present of a portrait of Millie)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight’s first major motion picture was In the Name of the Father (1993). I think I saw this some time in the 1990s, but it was probably after the pub or something so my memory is hazy. Anyway, it’s an excellent account of the terrible injustice suffered by the Guildford Four and Maguire Seven and its eventual resolution. I would, however, point out that gavels are not used in this country’s courts; showing them being used in the courtroom scenes which are so pivotal to the story is very annoying. But other than that, a great film.

And to follow, a rewatch of something a little lighter: Ronin (1998). A cracking action yarn, assuming you’re not one of the innocent bystanders who are casually slaughtered throughout

Goodnight all

Comment

Oh, one more thing about In the Name of the Father: near the start, Gerry Conlon and Paul Hill are supposed to be looking for a squat in London where some friends live. At one point they’re at the corner of Huskisson Street and Sandon Street. But, being from Liverpool, I recognised that the street name signs are in styles uniquely found in the older parts of that fair city, and that Huskisson Street is named after a former MP for the city who has the distinction of being the first person ever to be killed by a train, that train being Stephenson’s Rocket. So for some reason, they had Liverpool standing in for London in that part of the film. The corner in question is here
          Last edited by NickFitz; 26 January 2020, 03:45.

Comment

Morning all if all there be at this benighted hour

Dark.

Wet.

Dreary.

Dire.

Damp.

Warmer at 18.1 deg. in here.

Sunday, apparently, which explains waking at 06:25 from a dream about a job I left in 1993.

Hi, Terry, you miserable mofo

Obviously back in the 1820s Rocket Engineering didn't include brakes .

<dvd watching hiatus>

That's I. J. & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull specials done & dusted.

Feck me, there were a lot of them.

This evening is taken up with Doctor Who (though I dunno quite why other than 57 years of watching it), Vera (getting too complicated for my increasingly addled brain), and the Oak Island nutjobs (you never know they might actually find something one day other than lumps of timber and 1963 dimes).

<hiatus>

Bored.

Now.

Since it's raining the walk will go unwalked today.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 January 2020, 09:33.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Obviously back in the 1820s Rocket Engineering didn't include brakes .
              I've seen something about this. Might have been on Portillo's thing. I'm still not sure about him btw. Anyway, his guest described what happened and opined that people not really knowing how to behave around trains was the real issue. As a result we learnt lesson #1 - don't run about on the tracks, especially when you can see a train approaching.

One should always seek to benefit from such lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                I've seen something about this. Might have been on Portillo's thing. I'm still not sure about him btw. Anyway, his guest described what happened and opined that people not really knowing how to behave around trains was the real issue. As a result we learnt lesson #1 - don't run about on the tracks, especially when you can see a train approaching.

One should always seek to benefit from such lessons.
                Indeed.

Trespass on the railway was subject to a fine of 40/- on conviction according to the signs back in the day.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning

dull
                  dreary
                  no current precipitation, but it's in the post.

Sunday

meh

Comment

Morning all

Murky out. A pleasant walk has been completed, now time for breakfast followed by tidying up the garden from yesterday’s chicken fencing extravaganza.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Morning all

Murky out. A pleasant walk has been completed, now time for breakfast followed by tidying up the garden from yesterday’s chicken fencing extravaganza.
                      Épée, Foil, or Sabre? Was there a trophy?
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X