• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First on the box (though they aren’t really like boxes anymore, though I suppose one could consider the display as a 2d box, except mine is curved) tonight was a rewatch of Sin City (2005). A brilliant film, both in the comic book graphic novel storylines and the absolutely beautiful graphic novel comic book imagery. On this rewatch I also better appreciated the way the pacing of the film and the disparate yet connected stories reflect the classic comic book editorial policy of having short stories of one or two pages alternating with longer ones spreading over many. Really good stuff

After that, I started in on a gritty spy thriller but realised after about five or ten minutes that, good though it was, I simply wasn’t in the mood for something of that ilk. So instead I rewatched, for the umpteenth time, The Devil Wears Prada, which I am increasingly convinced is one of the best comedies of modern times - let’s say since the millennium. In particular, on this watching, I reckoned that Emily Blunt’s comic timing of gesture and expression during the first twenty minutes or so is absolutely perfect, worthy of the great actors of the silent era, if not better

The rain has died down, at least for now, and the gesticulations of the chestnut trees outside were slightly less frantic a few minutes ago; but even as I type this I can hear the wind gusting more strongly, and that’s after I’ve taken my hearing aids out. So who knows if it’s actually getting better or not?

Goodnight all

Comment

8 litres of water emptied out of buckets in the roof - that’s the last 5 hours worth of rain.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        And very nice too

We seem to be getting off comparatively lightly here - still windy, but still warm and the rain is holding off
        Century

Comment

Morning all

No current precipitation since all the water in the area appears to be either in the marsh or at the bottom of next door's garden.

Grey.

White sky.

Windy (but not as windy as yesterday).

No current rivers in the road out front.

Two and a half hours to high tide.

Aberdulais underwater according to the R4 news.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 February 2020, 09:09.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            you was in your tea mug??
            no karzy at clientco?
            I always drop me "H's", init?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Wet, very windy. Time for a shower then off to collect little boy from his cub camp - always assuming they've survived the weekend!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Two and a half hours to high tide.

Aberdulais underwater according to the R4 news.
                  The marsh isn'tt so full at the moment, but high tide at 11:38 will be the crunch.

As well as the water in next door's and next door but 1's gardens, the pig sties in my garden have water in them too, about an inch or so deep.

The garage, being about 18 inches higher, is dry apart from all the water that's come in through the roof/walls(breeze blocks).

The canal is overtopping its banks, fortunately on the side facing the river & not us, which I've not seen very often.

Hopefully it won't cut through enough to burst its banks.

The river water is making an inneresting noise as it travels towards the sea.

You'd have no chance if you fell in.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 February 2020, 10:23.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

The rain came back and still persists, though the wind has dropped a bit

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      And very nice too

We seem to be getting off comparatively lightly here - still windy, but still warm and the rain is holding off

Century

Comment

Working...
                      X