• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The rain seems to have mainly stopped here, though it seems we can expect showers through the evening

Indeed. When I did my calf muscle in in a similar way, I started a contract in Cambridge immediately after. I normally enjoy the one mile walk from the hotel to the pub for my dinner of an evening (and back again), but ended up making a lot of use of the bus for the first few weeks
    You ate dinner on the bus?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You ate dinner on the bus?
      The bus had to wait outside; no way you could fit a bus in the Castle Inn

Comment

dinner was pork chops with a honey and mustard glaze, chips and peas.
        quite scrumptious.

and a nice rioja.

now Vera on telly.

not looking forward to travelling on sunday.
        destination is in that wasteland between M25 and god's country.
        meh.
        eh oop, ickey thump, etc.

Comment

The drive to Sussex was without incident. Rained the entire way and got steadily worse the further south I travelled.

My Dad had picked up some sherry type glasses from my Nan's flat and put them aside for me to decide if I wanted them. I did. One set of six is a lovely cut glass design. The other set (was six, now five) is a simple clear glass with a smoked stem. No idea where I will put them but I liked them a lot. I also got some felt dark red gloves that are just lovely. A couple of baking tins completed the stash.

Also put aside for me was the ceramic poppy I had bought my Nan from the from display that was at the Tower of London. It was always her intention to give it back to me on her passing. There was a mild panic when it couldn't initally be found but had been discovered, carefully boxed, behind the ironing board. TBH if I wanted to put something in a safe place, where it wouldn't be disturbed, behind the ironing board is exactly where it would go!

Finally, I received my formal inheritance. Her engagement ring and one of her wedding rings (she only married the once but for some reason had three wedding rings, there is a tale there but I forget what it is). The rings came with a 'read me' note. I took a deep breath, expecting to read something that would set me off. Nope. It was instructions to keep the box with the engagement ring should I ever need to sell it as it adds to the value or some such. Typical of my Nan to think of such things. The engagement ring fits perfectly; I may scare HWMBO with it

The service was short but very nice. My cousin read out a piece she had written about childhood memories of visiting my grandparents and the things my Nan would do to make all visits fun. Many people were set off at talk of the pink iced cake (the recipe that I have lost...).

My reading was a poem my Nan had found that she liked and wanted to share: She (He) is Gone. I had practised and so was able to read it without getting all weepy.

Then off to Findon Manor Hotel for the wake, which was a jolly affair.

Drove home, another uneventful journey as they should all be. I was pleased I got a space just by my flat, which was very unexpected.

TL;DR - went to my Nan's funeral, the day passed without incident, it rained all day

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            The drive to Sussex was without incident. Rained the entire way and got steadily worse the further south I travelled.

My Dad had picked up some sherry type glasses from my Nan's flat and put them aside for me to decide if I wanted them. I did. One set of six is a lovely cut glass design. The other set (was six, now five) is a simple clear glass with a smoked stem. No idea where I will put them but I liked them a lot. I also got some felt dark red gloves that are just lovely. A couple of baking tins completed the stash.

Also put aside for me was the ceramic poppy I had bought my Nan from the from display that was at the Tower of London. It was always her intention to give it back to me on her passing. There was a mild panic when it couldn't initally be found but had been discovered, carefully boxed, behind the ironing board. TBH if I wanted to put something in a safe place, where it wouldn't be disturbed, behind the ironing board is exactly where it would go!

Finally, I received my formal inheritance. Her engagement ring and one of her wedding rings (she only married the once but for some reason had three wedding rings, there is a tale there but I forget what it is). The rings came with a 'read me' note. I took a deep breath, expecting to read something that would set me off. Nope. It was instructions to keep the box with the engagement ring should I ever need to sell it as it adds to the value or some such. Typical of my Nan to think of such things. The engagement ring fits perfectly; I may scare HWMBO with it

The service was short but very nice. My cousin read out a piece she had written about childhood memories of visiting my grandparents and the things my Nan would do to make all visits fun. Many people were set off at talk of the pink iced cake (the recipe that I have lost...).

My reading was a poem my Nan had found that she liked and wanted to share: She (He) is Gone. I had practised and so was able to read it without getting all weepy.

Then off to Findon Manor Hotel for the wake, which was a jolly affair.

Drove home, another uneventful journey as they should all be. I was pleased I got a space just by my flat, which was very unexpected.

TL;DR - went to my Nan's funeral, the day passed without incident, it rained all day
            funerals, i hate 'em.
            it rained as only it can in glasgow, when i buried my brother, AIR.

Comment

The evening's entertainment so far is "Southland Tales (2006)" with Dwayne Johnson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, et al.

Southland Tales (2006) - IMDb

From the chap who did Donnie Darko, so as expected, rather weird.

Nice little P.K. Dick reference:

Originally posted by Police Man
              Flow my tears
              Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said - Wikipedia

And that SMG has a mouth on her: more use of the word "****" than one might expect from a nice girl like BTVS.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Very nice tea of chicken casserole, chips, and peas

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  funerals, i hate 'em.
                  it rained as only it can in glasgow, when i buried my brother, AIR.

My grandmother on my father’s side died on Boxing Day (years ago). Her funeral was on a bitterly cold day in north Liverpool, not far from the mouth of the Mersey, with the wind blowing straight from the Irish Sea across to the cemetery, as it poured with rain

Comment

read everything by p k dick, probably several times.
                    all classic scifi, really.
                    well, all scifi, except they don't write it fast enough and then they die.
                    IT'S NOT FAIR.
                    i don't like it.
                    it must be illegal.

Comment

Home made chicken & sweetcorn soup
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X