• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    In the Chinese
    And very nice it was too

They’re getting with the programme now, with a notice stuck to the door asking for no more than two customers at a time and such customers to maintain the correct distances and so on. I was rather amused at this as it’s so rare to see any other customers there in person, most of their business being deliveries - though as it happened, there was another customer in there already

And the new owner behind the counter, along with everybody in the kitchen, was wearing a surgical mask and thin gloves - with the exception of Janet, the former owner, who was buzzing around in the kitchen with her face uncovered and the mask dangling from her right ear by its elastic

They’ve been very busy again

Comment

And very nice it was too

They’re getting with the programme now, with a notice stuck to the door asking for no more than two customers at a time and such customers to maintain the correct distances and so on. I was rather amused at this as it’s so rare to see any other customers there in person, most of their business being deliveries - though as it happened, there was another customer in there already

And the new owner behind the counter, along with everybody in the kitchen, was wearing a surgical mask and thin gloves - with the exception of Janet, the former owner, who was buzzing around in the kitchen with her face uncovered and the mask dangling from her right ear by its elastic

They’ve been very busy again
      Very good to hear they're busy.

I keep meaning to support my local take away restaurants but I don't get a delivery often enough to know which ones are any good! Maybe now is the time for a spot of trial and error?

Comment

Having finished with Mr Holmes for today (the next dvd is another 1hr 45min epic like this one was), it was then on to the QM & the Blitz on 5, for a change, interspersed during the ad breaks with First Blood on ITV4.

He's currently stuck down the mine.

I can't decide if I've ever watched "Inception", watched a bit of that but it doesn't feel very familiar, I looked for the dvd upstairs but can't spot it.

<hiatus>

"Inception" does reside much where I thought it should, confirming that it has been watched & made little or no impression.

I also avoid it like the plague

This evening’s main feature fillum was a rewatch of Inception (2010), that strange thing about dreams within dreams and so on. It’s all very weird, but entertaining enough in its way
        Glad to see you've watched it too.

Tonight's entertainment opened with Inception, which turned out to be a bit silly and complicated, but pretty much good stuff
        Twice, in fact.

I'm wondering what sort of sleep I'll have tonight, the last couple or so nights haven't been high on the sleep satisfaction stakes.

How odd to think that back then we didn't know a plague was on its way.

Oh, the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 April 2020, 21:44.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Having finished with Mr Holmes for today ) the next dvd is another 1hr 45min epic like this one was), it was then on to the QM & the Blitz on 5, for a change, interspersed during the ad breaks with First Blood on ITV4.

He's currently stuck down the mine.

I can't decide if I've ever watched "Inception", watched a bit of that but it doesn't feel very familiar, I looked for the dvd upstairs but can't spot it.
          The books are brilliant, I imagine that you know that already though
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Now watching The Orange One spouting his usual nonsense on BBC News.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Evening all

I spent a lot of the day gardening, while The Wife (tm) spent an hour or so on a Zoom call with senior people from an organisation that is one of the biggest employers in the world/
              I wish I hadn’t overheard bits of the conversation.
              The UK is reporting we have better standards of PPE than WHO say we need. This is because currently the UK doesn’t have stock of the right stuff, so is using the better stuff. When we run out, we have nothing.
              The UK hasn’t advised funeral directors on how to deal with the bodies. They get double bagged in the hospitals then the FDs are treating them normally.
              There’s going to be an increase in CV-19 in the funeral industry.

I heard other stuff that makes me worried/scared, but The Wife (tm) has given me the look of “you didn’t hear that”
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Evening all

I spent a lot of the day gardening, while The Wife (tm) spent an hour or so on a Zoom call with senior people from an organisation that is one of the biggest employers in the world/
                I wish I hadn’t overheard bits of the conversation.
                The UK is reporting we have better standards of PPE than WHO say we need. This is because currently the UK doesn’t have stock of the right stuff, so is using the better stuff. When we run out, we have nothing.
                The UK hasn’t advised funeral directors on how to deal with the bodies. They get double bagged in the hospitals then the FDs are treating them normally.
                There’s going to be an increase in CV-19 in the funeral industry.

I heard other stuff that makes me worried/scared, but The Wife (tm) has given me the look of “you didn’t hear that”

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  "Inception" does reside much where I thought it should, confirming that it has been watched & made little or no impression.

Glad to see you've watched it too.

Twice, in fact.
                  I believe it’s one of those films that has, or had, a vogue (to use the term Holmes uses about Moriarty’s Treatise on the Binomial Theorem) amongst those young Silicon Valley weirdoes who think they’re the saviours of the universe because they have a moderate grasp of how to write JavaScript and deploy it to Amazon Web Services

Comment

Tonight’s first fillum was Angel Has Fallen (2019), which sounds like it might have something to do with the Tube station of that name having the longest escalators in London or the World or somewhere, but is in fact the latest in the series of X Has Fallen films, where X0=Olympus, X1=London, and now X3=Angel. It’s much of a muchness with the others, except that it takes a while to get started properly and then occasionally gets bogged down at later points because they drag in a whole bunch of irrelevant stuff about the concept of Family

The world would be a better place if makers of such films accepted that they’re making films that feature guns, explosions, and helicopters crashing; unfortunately, they achieve a bit of success with the first two and suddenly they want to explore Deep Themes

But if one can ignore all that gubbins, the rest of it is OK enough, though maybe not quite as good as the other two

And after that, I couldn’t decide what I felt like, and ended up falling back on a rewatch of the poor teen's Hunger Games, i.e. the first of the Divergent series, which happens to be called Divergent (2014). Silly nonsense, of course, but quite good silly nonsense as this stuff goes. There were supposed to be four of them, but the fourth has been abandoned because the star decided she didn’t want to make any more, and as the series is built entirely around her character they would have struggled a bit with it. Anyway, it’s pretty good fun if you don’t mind stuff intended primarily for an audience of teenage girls, and as The Hunger Games shows, teenage girls have quite good taste in films

Quiet out there again tonight. I do wonder where the occasional cars that aren’t taxis are coming from or going to, given that there isn’t anywhere now, and they’re unlikely to all have been caring for elderly relatives at half three of a Saturday night

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Watching BBC iPlayer - Age of the Image - Series 1: 4. Fake Views, the last in the series all about fake images / videos.

They featured a piece of music that I thought "blimey, haven't heard that for years, who the heck is it?" It took several goes of timing Shazam just right to pick up enough of the track (darn talky stuff getting in the way) to discover it was this:

I pretty much grew up with my Dad blasting out this album of a Sunday morning (along with much more) and I do like this track.
                      I saw Genesis in 1980 - and I can see where I was in the crows on this video

And I saw them with Peter Gabriel

Comment

Working...
                      X