• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gave in and had fish pie this evening. Used some salmon and prawns instead.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      I miss proper chip shop chips.
      So do I since Salvatore retired. Having a traditional chippy two minutes' walk away was a godsend

Now I have to go about a mile, round trip

Though Sal's old place (since subject to two or three "refurbishments") has recently reopened under yet another lot of new management, so maybe I should give it a try yet again

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Entertainment: probably "The Mechanic (1972)" with that Charles Bronson chap.

Apparently there was a gay subplot to the script that got taken out.
        I suppose there's sort of hints of a subplot.

Can't imagine Bronson or Jason Statham in that sort of way though.

It was ok, but the film sagged a bit here and there.

Entertainment(continued): "Ulzana's Raid (1972)" with that Burt Lancaster chap as an army scout in the indian wars in Arizona.

You can tell how much I'm enjoying it by the way it gets turned off every now & again so I can distract myself a bit.

Ah, it transpires it's been edited to remove the scenes where horses fall, thus rendering it rather confusing when all of a sudden instead of riding a horse, the actor isn't any more with no indication of what the feck happened to get there.

I though I was having blackouts or sommat.

Lovely sunset this evening.

I went upstairs & watched it from the bedroom window in memory of the late Strangelove Mater who had a fine appreciation of a sunset, usually much to the irritation of Strangelove Pater who'd be sat down in the living room reading his book & rather uninnerested when summoned to admire said sunset.

It must be said, this evening's sunset really was spectacular.

In other news, I'm really really really looking forward to having new neighbours.

Never heard much from Mrs Mac, but I'm afeared that won't be the new situation.

Ho hum.

Should have bought it myself.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 August 2020, 21:25.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          My Bramley tree is on strike this year.

Which is a bugger as you can't get Bramley apples here. The Cloggies keep telling me that their Goudrenet are just as good, well they aint, they are too sweet and turn to mush.
          Chop a branch or two off.

Apparently some fruit trees get a bit too comfy and go dormant. A bit of damage now and then wakes them up.

Hopefully that'll produce a crop next year (if you haven't moved to France before then)

Comment

I did that to an apple tree and it died.

Some trees bear fruit every other year.

Unfortunately my apple tree bears half a ton of fruit every year.

I suspect it's got its roots into the main sewer.

We had some fantastic spuds the year the sewer overflowed over the potato patch.

Comment

My parents' garden used to be part of Laxton Brothers' orchards. The story, as far as I know, is that Mr. Laxton's son was killed in an air raid in 1942 and, having nobody to inherit the business, he sold the land for development, except for one plot which he kept for himself and built a house on, and had a selection of the trees - apples, cooking apples, pears, plums - transplanted into the garden (or maybe grown from new stocks, I'm not sure). And that house is where my parents now live. Sadly, all the original trees are now gone, but when I was a kid in the 1970s, I'd often wander out into the garden in the summer and pick an apple or a plum from the tree, and eat it there and then

Comment

Tonight's first rewatch was Legend (2015), which sounds like it should be about an ankle or a hip, but is actually about the Kray Twins. Despite its claim of being "the true story" thereof, it very obviously isn't. It's OK for what it is, but did make me think that a film with good actors that was, in fact, the true story would be long but worth watching. Though this is good, it's not "the true story" at all. Pretty good film, pretty bad history

I shall rant about the 1980s Krays film starring those brothers that were in some band another time, but rest assured I have strong and unfavourable opinions about that one

Anyway, once that was done, I rewatched Air Force One (1997), because why wouldn't you? It's excellent, and the few brief moments when the FX seem a bit clunky don't matter at all in comparison with the rest of the film. Cracking stuff; a The Riddle of the Sands for its time and medium

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

No viewings today, but we might go and do drive-past viewings of a few down here in the West Country.

About to take The Dog (tw) to the beach.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Dry. (As in Dry).

CBS. (As in no clouds other than that whispy one across the valley, there's tidy then, boyo).

Cold. As in 18.4 deg in here this morning. Brrrrr.

And it's not September yet.

1010 mBar on the barometer.

Saturday by all accounts judging by what the wireless is spouting.

Woken at 04:15 by an annoying beep: low battery alarm on the downstairs smoke detector.

Thankfully I resumed my doze.

Comment

Off to see the parentals today. It's unlikely I'll get to see my brother new to visiting rules. He's hoping to be discharged anyway, Dad said he was really perky yesterday afternoon. Turns out his funny turn was a heart attack and probably wouldn't have been prevented by a check up as one of his stents was blocked by a bit of dead heart muscle that had been plodding around his system for the past 6 years. Well that's what my brother's told my Dad. Bloody good job the blockage was in a location where his pacemaker/defib could keep him going and not in his head...

Weather conditions in London are slightly cloudy, blue sky poking through the fluff. Currently 13 degrees, forecast high of 16 with 50% chance of rain from 6pm. Barometer up to 1005 mBar.

My Sussex destination may reach 17 degrees and low chance of rain.

Have a good day folks!

Comment

Working...
                      X