• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lunch was 2 ibuprofen and 2 sausage rolls, eaten whilst wearing glasses, just to be cool, like*
    and earl grey tea.

*specs and drugs and sausage rolls

Comment

Afternoon

Grey

Cold for last Sunday in August

Watching A Bugs Life
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was given an oldish graphics card (msi GTX970) by my mate's son.
        thought i'd bung it in my PC.
        does it fit?
        the SSD is physically in the way.
        should i buy a bigger case and spend a whole day or so transplanting everything?
        maybe, if i want to play silly games.
        can i be arsed?
        very probably not, since i'm a lazy git.
        oh, well.
        nothing to see here, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Afternoon

Grey

Cold for last Sunday in August

Watching A Bugs Life
          It does feel cold today! I have closed the windows (except my bedroom) in the flat today.

I'd probably feel warmer if I had some socks on...

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
            I was given an oldish graphics card (msi GTX970) by my mate's son.
            thought i'd bung it in my PC.
            does it fit?
            the SSD is physically in the way.
            should i buy a bigger case and spend a whole day or so transplanting everything?
            maybe, if i want to play silly games.
            can i be arsed?
            very probably not, since i'm a lazy git.
            oh, well.
            nothing to see here, carry on.
            Move the SSD? You can chuck them pretty much anywhere on account of their lack of moving parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I'd probably feel warmer if I had some socks on...
              Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                And there's apple and blackberry pies to be made, too.
                Which reminded me that there was still a chunk of the last batch of apple tart topped with flaked almonds in the freezer. Duly heated up and guzzled down with salted caramel ice cream

Comment

When I went shopping on Friday, the car key wouldn't unlock the car, so I had to come back in for the spare. As that worked, I assumed it must be the battery in the key.

I just took the offending key apart to check what size battery I needed (a 2016, it turned out), and discovered I had not one but ten - ten! - of the correct size in stock, so I was able to sort it out straight away

This was because I realised a while ago that, rather than going to the shop and getting a single replacement when in need of a battery, it worked out cheaper to go on Amazon and order a dozen or more at a time - there's always at least one seller doing a good deal on them. It seems I bought this particular size, which IIRC I only need for the car keys, three years and a couple of weeks ago; so I should be good for another thirty years with my current stock

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Move the SSD? You can chuck them pretty much anywhere on account of their lack of moving parts.
                    that would involve moving most of the internals around to try to find a fit.
                    back to the old trouble.
                    osteorenalapathy.
                    I'll think about it, maybe when i stop working again.

Comment

About 22 years ago, my sister gave me her old vacuum cleaner - a Dyson DC01 Limited Edition De Stijl model. But it didn't seem to work very well if at all, and eventually I gave up on it. But I didn't want to throw it away, Just In Case.

About eight or nine years ago, I learned that the DC01 has a well-known problem with blockages building up at a certain part of its interior, which can be accessed by partially disassembling it. So I did, and I found and cleared precisely such a blockage, and I reassembled it, and it worked much better - except that after a few seconds, it started to give off that nasty burning smell you get from electric motors that aren't very happy

So I put it away again, and a little more Googling revealed that the most common cause of this was that it needed a new belt.

A couple of months ago, I got around to ordering a new belt for it, which duly arrived and has been sitting on the back of my desk ever since.

And this afternoon, I finally got around to replacing the belt, which turned out to be pretty simple to do - and it works!

So sometimes keeping broken things around Just In Case works out after all, even if it takes 22 years to finally get there

Comment

Working...
                      X