• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other half of the courgette pie for dinner
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Washed down with a bottle of Babylonstoren Babel
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just a bottle of rosé on the terrace, overlooking Cap Ferrat lighthouse. Jazz band playing down below.

Mrs Scruff went night-swimming in the ocean, on her own - quite Byronesque...and equally mad.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Washed down with a bottle of Babylonstoren Babel
          I used to to their audit in 1984-87. Back family. [emoji485]
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Tea has been homemade donner kebab with sweet chilli sauce, and chips

Wholemeal pitta bread because they're what Sainsbury's substituted in the one delivery I got in the earlyish days of the lockdown, and I only use them when I have this specific meal

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Shopping done

They've removed the big self-checkouts

However, when it proved impossible to get everything from the trolley stacked in the minuscule bagging area of the remaining ones, I appealed to one of the nice older (i.e. probably about the same age as me) ladies who was hovering about waiting to authorise people's booze and so on nearby, to ask if there was any way I could remove some of the bagged-up stuff without the machine shouting at me, and she revealed an astounding fact: there's a little strip of light under the screen that goes red when you scan an item, then green once you've put it in the bagging area and it's satisfied it's the right weight. And once the light is green, you can take stuff off - a single grape, five bags full of lead, doesn't matter - and it won't shout at you!

So although I still prefer being able to just spread my bags out in a large bagging area and gather them all up at the end, I daresay I can adapt to arranging stuff in the trolley such that I can do a couple of bags, shift them back to the trolley, do a couple more, and so on

And it means more self-checkouts in the same amount of space, so I suppose that's why they did it.

(Also, when revealing this hidden knowledge to me, she actually said "Once the light's turned green it won't shout at you" so I must have hit on the correct technical term for that particular aspect of the machine's operation by accident.)
              Our local Sainsbury's has started using the personal hand held scanners. Pick one up on the way in. Scan stuff yourself as it goes into your bags in the trolley then scan a QR code on the checkout screen at the end and it tots it all up and waits for you to pay.

You have to have a valid nectar card to use them, so I'm guessing they track your average shop and if it suddenly drops by £50 a week it will tell you to do it properly or get the staff to check what you've got.
              Last edited by DaveB; 17 September 2020, 21:41.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Our local Sainsbury's has started using the hand held scanners personal. Pick one up on the way in. Scan stuff yourself as it goes into your bags in the trolley then scan a QR code on the checkout screen at the end and it tots it all up and waits for you to pay.

You have to have a valid nectar card to use them, so I'm guessing they track your average shop and if it suddenly drops by £50 a week it will tell you to do it properly or get the staff to check what you've got.
                Ah, that's what I need to do! I've got the app on my phone for doing that, but for some reason I never remember when I'm in the shop

Maybe they removed the big checkouts to get idiots like me to use the app

Comment

Almost forgot: tonight's entertainment was a rewatch of the utter mayhem that is London Has Fallen (2016). Cracking stuff

And then a further episode of The Sopranos, to wit S2E11 House Arrest (TV Episode 2000).

And then some non-TV time listening to a couple of angry drunk people shouting at each other in the street. I miss the early days of lockdown when it was deserted out there at night

Oh, and before all that, dinnertime viewing was a bit of the new series of Ambulance on iPlayer

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Need to get up.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all

Dry.

Sunny.

White sky with blue hints.

Colder at 20 deg in here.

1020 mBar and 70% RH.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM about to meet the TD.

Shirts into the WM.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment