• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a call later where I get to explain to a PM and her boss why the extra resource they've engaged to be a "technical lead" for a migration project we're planning is a. unnecessary and b. not part of the currently agreed process for using a 3rd party for running all migration work. Sadly said resource will be on the call.

This is what happens when PMs jump and do things without asking any of the people actually involved in the initial planning, design and handover of work, but just keep repeating the same mistakes from previous projects.

I'm not wasting my time handing over anything to a guy whose technical knowledge is basically zero and who isn't part of any agreed process for the work. If they push it I might just say tulip it and walk.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
      Morning all.

Grey, dull, generally horrible.

And that's before we get to the weather.

Hang on in there fella!

Comment

Pissing down now.

And as grey as grey can be in a grey grey gray way.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Pissing down now.

And as grey as grey can be in a grey grey gray way.
          Still on passing showers here, but unremittingly grey

Steady rain is scheduled for around lunchtime, I believe. Currently wondering whether to go for a walk or stick with the exercise bike for today

Comment

I think today's walk is off for the duration.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Wish I could bloody knock it on the head. Sadly at 38 that's a way off yet.

OTOH sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm working for. Can't see a lot of good things on the horizon and I find living in the moment almost impossible. It's depressing surveying the possibilities for the next thirty-odd years. If I had decent life insurance I'd string myself up and save myself the bother.

OK reasons to be cheerful!

1. You are living in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, you and yours are very unlikely to starve or be homeless.
              2. Your medical care is free at point of use, most other countries charge. Most American bankruptcies are because of healthcare charges.
              3. Education before degree is free and not government restricted by gender, religion or class. Despite the whining its quite good.
              4. The weather is actually fairly stable few major earthquakes or lethal hurricanes in Scunthorpe.
              5. Whilst Bojo seems to be maximising Covid etc deaths you have a far lower chance of dying from it than in most LDCs.
              6. You are apparently in the top 20 earners so will be able to fund a far nicer lifestyle than most. I never have to think 'can I afford that' for normal purchases, previously I did and it is a big change.
              7. You have an interesting job in a comfortable environment (compared to plucking chickens or cleaning loos).
              8. You & yours are in relative good health. Most activities can be completed.
              9. Whilst international travel may be curtailed its likely that will be for a short time and it will result in cheap trips immediately after.
              10. you have the companionship of CUK
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                10. you have the companionship of CUK
                There's always a downside...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have a call later where I get to explain to a PM and her boss why the extra resource they've engaged to be a "technical lead" for a migration project we're planning is a. unnecessary and b. not part of the currently agreed process for using a 3rd party for running all migration work. Sadly said resource will be on the call.

This is what happens when PMs jump and do things without asking any of the people actually involved in the initial planning, design and handover of work, but just keep repeating the same mistakes from previous projects.

I'm not wasting my time handing over anything to a guy whose technical knowledge is basically zero and who isn't part of any agreed process for the work. If they push it I might just say tulip it and walk.
                  Sit back and watch the car crash. Its not your fault. Do some documentation and send over , box ticked.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Oh FFS. Last night, just as I was going to bed, my broadband connection went down for a minute or so then came back up. Now I find that my IP address, which has remained the same for years, has changed

This means I now have to go through all kinds of Security Groups on AWS that are closed down to my IP address, changing them all, not to mention updating config files on various servers

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Sit back and watch the car crash. Its not your fault. Do some documentation and send over , box ticked.
                      +1 - he's a lead so can do all the work - you just need to emphasis that you haven't got time to support him so if he needs any help it's going to impact your other work. Also point out that while it's great that the work has been outsourced its just an additional dependency on the project and will need everything to be delivered well before the final deadline date.

And you leave it there then settle down to watch the car crash.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X