• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to shut LinkedIn and the job boards for the weekend I guess.

Not much of a week - not even the number of pimps fishing to keep me entertained as would once have happened. Two warm-ish leads for next week, two rejections after interview this week, three more fruitless conversations. Not a lot else to report. A very quiet week by anyone's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
      Time to shut LinkedIn and the job boards for the weekend I guess.

Not much of a week - not even the number of pimps fishing to keep me entertained as would once have happened. Two warm-ish leads for next week, two rejections after interview this week, three more fruitless conversations. Not a lot else to report. A very quiet week by anyone's standards.
      Try and enjoy the weekend before Tier 3 confinement imposes itself.

Comment

Lunch: poached tomato (actually it just gets nuked & poaches itself like) and scrambled egg (ditto) on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast (noncrust), bramble jelly sandwich on same, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

During which the scaffolders turned up to put the scaffolding up for the roof job.

Adding that the anglegrinding and hammering next door meant I was forced out in the sunshine and down the garden to get more stones to fill a pothole in the back lane.

Due to the lack of little stones this took ages as I raked through the gradually decreasing heap.

Then in a fit of insanity I went for a walk.

One of those chem trails went into a cloud & never came back out.

I reckon it was a UFO.

Glorious golden sunshine out there now with fluffy white clouds.

The leaves on the apple tree are similarly golden and once they've fallen off they'll meet their colleagues in the compost heap.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Did my volunteer footpath inspections thing today. Drove about 5 mins and it starting raining really heavily, was thinking about turning round. Then a few minutes before I got there it stopped and the the sun came out. Almost always lucky on my walks, as soon as I get out the van the weather improves.

Opposite with driving, whenever there's a pothole, cyclist, parked car etc in front there's almost always something coming the other way.

This is so much the norm it can't be just coincidence. I'm sure the Greeks and Romans got it right, there isn't just one god but a god for every aspect of life. I've obviously pleased the weather god and offended the driving god.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Must be a big card if you have to take it to the sorting office and not pop it in a post box
            The postboxes round here all seem to have been moved from a collection around teatime to one around 8am, so if I want it to have a chance of getting there tomorrow morning I was too late

There's probably a later collection from the one by the post office down the road, or I could even take my life in my hands and go into the post office to hand it over the counter, but I figured going to the sorting office would give it the best chance as they empty those boxes from time to time during the day. And it would also allow me to pop to Sainsbury's on the way back - that way the journey is kind of loop out of the city and back in

However…

The car's battery was fairly flat again when I tried to set out, which seems… suboptimal? Not as flat as last time, but flat enough that the starter motor just ticked at me without doing anything. Anyway, the Little Power Pack That Can got it started, so I decided to have a blast down the M69 to the first junction and back to give it a decent charge.

But the traffic ground to a halt on the dual carriageway of no escape heading out of town, meaning it took ages to get to the junction that leads to the motorways

And it further turned out that the delay was because the next stretch of outbound dual carriageway was closed, and that's the way to Sainsbury's

However, there's another way in from the motorway side of the junction via the outer ring road, so I finally had my run down the M69 and back, from there out to the sorting office and posted the card, and then back to sneak into Sainsbury's by the alternative entrance; so the card is on its way, and the shopping is done

But I'll have to check whether that battery came with any kind of guarantee when they put it in back in… March, I think it was

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              ... I'm sure the Greeks and Romans got it right, there isn't just one god but a god for every aspect of life. I've obviously pleased the weather god and offended the driving god.
              Maybe the gods haven't kept up and one hasn't been appointed to the task of driving?
              Last edited by ladymuck; 23 October 2020, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

But I'll have to check whether that battery came with any kind of guarantee when they put it in back in… March, I think it was
                You may recall my saga of the flat battery which turned out to be an electrical leak from the stereo - faulty wire or some such. Be prepared for additional investigations which may be tricky to achieve if lockdowns increase.

Comment

You may recall my saga of the flat battery which turned out to be an electrical leak from the stereo - faulty wire or some such. Be prepared for additional investigations which may be tricky to achieve if lockdowns increase.
                  Yes, that's the thing - I could do without them having to spend ages working out if there's something else causing the battery to drain while the car's resting

Comment

Lunch time was taken up with sorting out the beef, mushroom and ale pie.

No actual lunch eaten
                    I too forgot to have lunch, though not for such a good reason. So I've just had a big bag of BBQ Hula Hoops to tide me over

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I too forgot to have lunch, though not for such a good reason. So I've just had a big bag of BBQ Hula Hoops to tide me over
                      Health food.

Leg hurting as well as foot hurting.

I'm falling apart, I tells you, falling apart.

Tea: Tesco breaded chunky haddock, stewed pears (sans custard which explains the incredible amount of milk in the fridges), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: something with Old Stone Face in it I rather think.

Susan Calman's secret Scotland on 5 at 20:00.

Something else which escapes me right now.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X