• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Grey, chilly, breezy, but dry and visibility is back above 50 yards again.

POC for the location of the Xmas tree* in the front garden completed.

Next job is to cut some legs the right height to make the platform it will stand on sit level, as the garden is on a not inconsiderable slope. The last of the cannibalised upright sections from the dead gazebo should do the job, having the advantage of already having round flat feet welded to the ends, complete with holes for pegging down. The main parts went into the frame for the platform, topped with some offcuts of chipboard floorboards.

Once thats done then I need to sort out where I'm going to put the eye bolts for the guy wires, paint the boards to waterproof them, fix the actual tree stand to them and we should be good to go.

Getting it put up will be fun this year with just two of us, in the past we've had to call in reinforcements which isn't going to be happening this year.

Christ knows what the neighbours are going to think of it.

*It stands about 30ft high and was bought by MrsB via eBay a few years ago, whilst under the influence of of a cocktail of painkillers, red wine and antibiotics. The sellers drove down from Liverpool to Nottinghamshire with it the next day and arrived at 09:30 on a Sunday morning. I think they were worried she might changed her mind. When asked how they got it the husband simply replied "The Mother-in-Law" and left it at that.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Grey, wet, miserable. Weather same.

Beecham's drunk.

Idly wondering if bathrooms can be repaired during lockdown or if I need to order some buckets from Amazon.

They can provided you don't need to be self isolating for any reason.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Roof 3/4 removed and new felt & wood installed.

It rained a bit earlier, but mostly a heavy sort of drizzle.

Full on murrain of beasts forecast for later.

Definition of madness: replacing a roof in fecking November.

Not my idea but if it's going to be done next door then it might just as well be done this side as well.

Lunch: scrambled egg & poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower & pumpkin seed toast (non crust since the crust is thin on this loaf), bramble jelly sandwich on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

In other news, I put my back out whilst potching down the garden, which is moderately uncomfortable but there you go.

Instead of that I'm now going through 60 odd years (& some of them were almost as odd as 2020) of birthday cards, most from people who are gone, some long gone, and others gone but not so long.

Once that lot are sorted (keeping representative samples where needed), Ye Greate Conflagratione of Neathe will be that much closer.

Still wondering if my great aunt maud's collection of news clippings for the Coronation and other happenings would be suitable for starting the fire off.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tomato and lentil soup for lunch. Doesn't taste like much.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

^^^ Oh Dear(tm). <- socially distanced by 25 feet.

Feck me, everything is vibrating in here from the hammering on the roof.

Is this A Good Thing?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Zingy chicken, tomato and lentil soup with wholemeal bread for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Unclean! Unclean!

Comment

Baked potato and baked beans for lunch.

Sky very grey....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                      Grey, wet, miserable. Weather same.

Beecham's drunk.

Idly wondering if bathrooms can be repaired during lockdown or if I need to order some buckets from Amazon.

Ooh, a £75 Amazon voucher has arrived for taking out Virgin broadband.

Buckets it is.

Huzzah!

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X