• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Just you. But don't worry, I never stick to my New Year's Resolutions. I'll have given up by tomorrow.
    Probably best, I eat a lot

Comment

Dinner was bavette steak with triple cooked chips, mushrooms and a kolrabi and beetroot salad.

Washed down with a claret.

Now catching up on UC and OC.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        In the usual Chinese
        Very nice as always

The other place is good, but the usual place is better

The walk up saw the green ring filled, to the accompaniment of a shower of what was being described as snow but just felt like very slightly lumpy rain

And the cash machine nearest the Chinese was up the creek, so I had to cross back over to use the one at the Co-op. The chap who'd advised me the usual one was broken got there ahead of me, and turned out to be one of those people who attempts to type the entire text of Moby-Dick into the machine, so I had to wait while that happened. And all around me, three of the local homeless people (may not actually be homeless) who take turns begging thereabouts were having a blazing row about something, shouting at each other, waving arms around, stomping off in a rage, stomping back again still in a rage, shouting some more, and so on

Two of them still seemed to be at it when I'd finally got my dinner and was heading back

Oh, and due to Tier 4, all the knocking shops are closed again.

Comment

Tonight's premiere was Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw (2019), because I've spent all that time watching F&F1-8 to remind myself of the backstory, so I might as well actually watch it

I thought it was good in its context; we all know it's going to be silly nonsense, but it's quality silly nonsense, a far cry from the early days of the franchise when it was all about stealing spare parts for Toyotas rather than saving the world from a criminal mastermind orchestrating a pandemic

Though IRL it turns out they might as well not have bothered, as Mother Nature got there without the aid of a criminal mastermind

After that, and continuing with the theme of a global threat but of a more recondite kind, a rewatch of Annihilation (2018). I do like the effects in this one, but also the story; I must get around to reading the book so I can work out what the person on Twitter who argued that all the important aspects of the book were missed out was going on about

Finally, the excellent augmented reality thriller Anon (2018). It does take a while to watch if you keep pausing it to read the chunks of text that appear next to people and things in the AR viewpoints, but they're all consistent with the story and its reality so eventually I stopped doing that. It's very good, IMHO

I forgot the bedroom window again, so it's 12°C in here. Still, it'll quickly warm up under the covers with the furry throws on top, so I think I'll leave the window open a little, as the fresh air is lovely

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Cold.

Garden path looks like a skating rink.

15 deg in here.

Blue sky across the valley, yellow cloud.

1019 mBar, 30.1 inHg, 55% RH.

Sunday.

<hiatus>

Sunday shopping trip to Tesco and Morrisons done, dusted, washed, sterilised, and put away.

Lunch: roast beef (Tesco), a yog, a Morrisons lattice top mince pie, and 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Once the dishes are done, it'll be time for a walk to be walked in the raw and rather unpleasant chill.

Now listening to a tow headed **** lying at me on the wireless.

The very definition of incompetent corrupt cronyism lying through its teeth.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the glorious golden sunshine.

Cold, and a bit raw.

Now getting stuck into the Family Circle biscuit assortment, which I got because these days my family tend to go for fancy biscuits from places like M&S and Waitrose, and I decided I wanted the normal ones we used to get when I was a kid

And they say advertising doesn't work.

I bought some earlier today.

Half gone already.

Currently on a jammy dodger.

Tea: Ginsters Moroccan vegan pasty (that I spoiled by overheating), several bramble jelly sandwiches on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread, yog (prune), Morrisons lattice top mince pie, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Oh, and a couple of biscuits.

Entertainment: the last 20 minutes of "The Green Man (1956)" with Alistair Sim as an assassin, Terry Thomas as a philanderer, George Cole as the hero.

"Am dro: Selebs" on S4C, wherein "we" travelled with the 4 "selebs" variously to Anglesey (castles & such like), Gwynedd along Lon Goed, The Pembrey Country Park, and the Brecon Beacons in a rainstorm that would have put the SAS off on the way to the crash site of a WWII bomber in 1943.

This:

Lancaster W4929 - Ystradgynlais Aircraft Crash Sites

Now: The Repair Shop.

Now Then: some stuff on PBS about ancient astronomy.

Now now: some crap on Blaze about UFOs & LGMs.

Next now: The oak island nutjobs.

The 8 foot diameter can & driver has arrived.

The can weights 54,000 lbs.

Meanshile at the eye of the swamp: high levels of Hg & Pb, big rocks on top of clay, compressing said clay.

They've got a professor of archaeology to take a gander at the paved area: he reckons it's man made.

The eye is now thought to be a clay mine.

Conclusion: "somebody did something in there".

The 8 foot diameter can preparation begins.

The oscillator thingie is 55 tons.

The hole they're digging in the swamp is filling with water.

Next: ground penetrating radar on lot 25, Samuel Ball's property.

The new hole is thought to be connected to the paved area.

The GPR finds anomalies at Samuel Ball's house.

They need new permits to investigate that.

The 8 foot can is cutting ground.

Next week: bits of bone from the excavation of the can, Gary finds a ring.

Next: The Wig Wearing War Criminal's avatar does an Oak Island Nutjob Special. "The Shakespeare Connection".

Glad that's over.

Nutjobbery++;

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 January 2021, 22:57.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Early doors again. The family of corvids that we feed were cawing for their breakfast before 7am. They seem particularly fond of their free range cousins being cooked, rather than raw (they get the bones, giblets and trimmings). Partial to Royal-Canin Exigent protein cat nuts. They don't like cooked beef as much, but for the fat...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Comment

In the usual Chinese
                  Hmmm. In the wake of those Huawei security concerns, am I the only one to be suspicious that Fizzy Knickers, who keeps CUK going, goes to the Chinese quite so often?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

After that, and continuing with the theme of a global threat but of a more recondite kind, a rewatch of Annihilation (2018). I do like the effects in this one, but also the story; I must get around to reading the book so I can work out what the person on Twitter who argued that all the important aspects of the book were missed out was going on about
                    I have the trilogy and it was ok. Readable but found the set quite tedious. Happy to send them up to you as they're currently in the pile for the charity shop when they reopen for donations.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X