• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning.

I need coffee. Lots of coffee...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Morning.

Grey.

Dark.

Dreary.

No current precipitation but it looks like it's thinking about it.

Sunless.

Warmer. 17.1 deg in here this morning <sweat>

1015 mBar, 29.97 inHg, 55% RH.

Thursday.

Didn't hear the Refuse Disposal Engineers this morning.

Either they were very quiet or I was asleep.

<hiatus>

Apparently it was a wheelybin/black binbag day as well, just like last week.

Trip down to the health centre to collect said presciption, followed by trip across the car park to the dispensing chemist for that & another packet of pills.

Queued outside both establishments as not allowed in any more.

Had mask on & cleared throat, as is my habit, with my mouth closed, only for everyone to back off another 3 feet in alarm.

Having dispensed said medicaments next door it was time for a walk in the intermittent drizzle.

Had a conversation with a lady who, it transpires, is a nurse.

Even saw some blue sky through the clouds of grey.

Lunch: Heinz leek & potato soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on crust of same, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

As to what joys the afternoon, holds, that's TBD.

I suppose I could potch about with the door on the tinshed.

Considering that work is currently happening on the party wall, going out might just be a good idea.

<hiatus>

More tinsheddery undertaken, potching++.

It's amazing how it all seems to work out, little by little.

Amongst today's epics was the painting of the repairs to the shed door with some ancient Proper Paint: "Cinnamon" BBE 1965 at a guess, so properly proper paint, not thixotropic but runny & hopefully full of lead.

Afternoon Entertainment in the increasing gloom: Sewermen S2 E9 & 10.

<hiatus>

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, Xmas pud with custard (too much milk in fridge), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment:

History Cold Case: Crossbones Girl: skeleton covered in scars ?syphilis?

Hadrian's Wall with Robson Green.

In other news, whilst the clavicle zit is receding, a zit on my back burst whilst I was showering exactly in a place I can't reach to put a plaster on it.

Never mind, the shirt seems to be doing the job of the plaster.

Must remember to soak it overnight.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 January 2021, 20:24.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        In my wanderings around the Internet, I recently came across a recommendation for The Pink Stuff, specifically the paste version, for cleaning things like metal and ceramic surfaces. I found the cheapest supplier on Amazon (four tubs for less than some were charging for one - always worth scrolling down a bit) and I just set it to work trying to spruce up the sink and draining board, which are 1980s vintage stainless steel now suffering from areas of pitting and the occasional rust spot.

And you know what? It's really good! The whole thing looks better now than it did when I first moved here, I reckon

It's basically just a very thick paste of soap and vegetable oil with a mild abrasive (and some pink dye), but it's well worth a look if you have anything in need of such a treatment.
        B&M is the place to go for The Pink Stuff - I got both the paste and the spray from there.

I find that it's just as good as Bar Keeper's Friend.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          B&M is the place to go for The Pink Stuff - I got both the paste and the spray from there.

I find that it's just as good as Bar Keeper's Friend.
          Heard of The Pink Stuff and seen it sold somewhere but had to google Bar Keeper's Friend. Also no B&M near me. Mind you it took ages for one Wilkinsons to appear near me then they proliferated like crazy.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning.

The hole diggers came back today at 7am to start their hole pounding. They are replacing a gas main and very slowly working their way down the road. They started at the beginning of December.

I don't know why they seem to come back when it is raining.

Comment

Morning all

Cold and grey and currently snowing heavily. Enough thats it's settling even on wet roads and pavements, with no signs of letting up any time soon.

1st coffee down, 2nd about to be made.

Dog is hiding in her bed with her legs crossed, having stuck her head out of the dog flap first thing and deciding she can hold it a bit longer. Cold doesn't bother her, but She doesn't do wet.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've heard recently of B&M but had no idea what they are. A quick google says they're a variety store, which sounds exciting. I'm suspecting they're a bit like a Wilko or a Woolworths?

The Pink Stuff does seem to be available at Wilko and Robert Dyas. I have those on the high street up the road so may pop in and see if they have it in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Morning.

The hole diggers came back today at 7am to start their hole pounding. They are replacing a gas main and very slowly working their way down the road. They started at the beginning of December.

I don't know why they seem to come back when it is raining.
                  They probably get an 'inclement weather' bonus

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I've heard recently of B&M but had no idea what they are. A quick google says they're a variety store, which sounds exciting. I'm suspecting they're a bit like a Wilko or a Woolworths?

The Pink Stuff does seem to be available at Wilko and Robert Dyas. I have those on the high street up the road so may pop in and see if they have it in stock.
                    Bargin Store, like Wilko's without the up market presentation. Great for knitted coats with pictures of wolves on the back and multipacks of chocolate bars you've never heard of.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Bargin Store, like Wilko's without the up market presentation. Great for knitted coats with pictures of wolves on the back and multipacks of chocolate bars you've never heard of.
                      Wilko's upmarket? There use to be stores like Clas Ohlson around which was an upmarket version of Wilkos. So upmarket they are now online only....

Comment

Working...
                      X