• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the big (if you sit close to it) screen tonight, first up was Dans la brume (2018), which in English is called Hold Your Breath, though IMDb's search autocomplete likes to think that it's called A Breath Away, so who knows what's going on

Anyway, it's a French film set in Paris (you can tell it's French because even though it's set in Paris, they don't bother with an establishing shot that includes the Eiffel Tower until thirty-two minutes in; also, it's in French) which is stricken by an earthquake that releases some kind of noxious vapour that fills the city up to a depth of three or four storeys. Our protagonists are parents whose daughter has some kind of immune disorder that means she has to live in a bubble thing, but they have to flee to the topmost flat and take refuge with an elderly couple. But the daughter's bubble needs to have its backup batteries changed or recharged regularly, so they have to risk their lives finding ways to deal with that, never mind working out how to save themselves. It's all rather complicated, and I thought it made for quite a decent film really, though a number of important aspects of the story did get airily waved aside in a "2. ??? 3. Profit!" kind of way

Then back into English, or what passes for it over the Atlantic, with a rewatch of Patriots Day (2016). TBQH I think the Americans set themselves up for this kind of bulltulip with their obsession with patriotism and the flag and all that. Can you imagine what would happen in the UK if there was a public holiday called "Patriots Day"? There'd be about two dozen UKIP and National Front oiks at Trafalgar Square, and nobody normal would give a toss about the "patriotic" intent behind it

Good film though

And finally, more patriotism as I decided it was time for a rewatch of The Americans, to wit, Pilot (TV Episode 2013) (which doesn't involve a pilot, and the Americans should start thinking of titles for their first programmes in a series even if they have to retrofit them) and The Clock (TV Episode 2013) (you see? not that hard, was it?)

The rain raineth, but at least it isn't snow

Goodnight all
    Last edited by NickFitz; 16 January 2021, 06:28.

Comment

One's vaccination group seems to have become the new house price topic.

Mine is bigger than yours etcetc.....

I might even start a general thread on this. As soon as I think of a witty AndyW option....

Comment

Comment

I could tell you what I am doing this morning. But then I would have to shoot you....

Comment

Morning.

Due to the lack of hammering etc. next door, I stayed in bed until 09:00 whereupon the wireless started becoming more irritating so I got up.

Dry.

Sunless.

Grey.

Warmish at 16.1 deg in here.

1016 mBar, 30 inHg, 55% RH.

Saturday.

<hiatus>

Walk walked.

Sunnyish.

NotSoColdish.

Oh, forgot to mention that the phone scammers started late this morning: 09:39, which was a refreshing change.

Lunch: Heinz pea & ham soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread, bramble jelly blackcurrant jam sandwich on same, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

And someone just put a hammer down next door.

My peace is about to depart.

That Kumar chap is spilling his bile on the wireless again.

Comic? I've had funnier bowel movements, today's in particular.

<hiatus>

Afternoon entertainment (some of it watched with my eyes actually open, but not all that much): Neil Oliver rabbiting on about Stonehenge and the Bronze age & suchlike.

Tea: the last of the batch of spag bol which was rather pleasant in its way, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Feck Nose*.

I see NAT has been busy banning people for disrespect towards the travelling community.

A thing about The Spanish Flu of 1918 on Smithsonian.

Blade Runner Director's Director's Cut (2007) as the 15 minutes of dross from Blade Runner 2049 inspired me to watch it again rather than that crap.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 January 2021, 23:06.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Discovered that Sainsbury's really stiffed me on the use-by dates for the meat in yesterday's order; one of them is today, FFS

This is annoying as it means stuff that's scheduled for next week has to be frozen, and there isn't room with all the soup and so on to go in there

The Sunday joint expires on Saturday, and I often don't get around to cooking that until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway. I suppose the best thing to do is freeze it now, as the soup and scouse can last a couple more days in the fridge before being frozen, and then it's got a day or two in hand when it's moved back to the fridge to thaw.
              You need to send them an email complaining about the useby dates. I sent Asda one on a few items, oddly never meat but veggie substitutes, and now they don't give me stuff that goes off so quickly.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning.

The gas workers started their equipment at 7am.

Most of the time it's just a hum with no drilling.

It's cold and wet out. And I need to get up....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh the weather outside is frightful
                  But the fire is so delightful
                  And since we've no place to go
                  Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
                  (It has already melted into nothingness).

Today's lunch is a Shorthorn Angus dry-aged Côte de Boeuf. Different butcher. Same process, reverse sear - oven at 160°C until internal temp 52°C. Inferno braai grill 2 minutes each side (target 56°C internal temp).

Dauphinoise potatoes.

Sorry to the non-foodies for the boring post...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You need to send them an email complaining about the useby dates. I sent Asda one on a few items, oddly never meat but veggie substitutes, and now they don't give me stuff that goes off so quickly.
                    You also need to check dates as they deliver the items and refuses ones that are stupidly dated.

That causes them a problem they will notice as the return path to sell the items again is always painful and creating slight bits of pain will ensure you get the long dated flag passed to the picker.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

morning
                      been snowing
                      now raining
                      King Billy
                      I HATE WINDOZE!!!
                      Win10 update, now laptop bricked FFS.

Comment

Working...
                      X