• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Tea tonight has been more of the roast gammon, with chips, fried eggs and beans. Very nice

Not sure whether to freeze the last portion or use it for a couple of lunches. Probably the lunches, as freezer space is still at a premium
    I have no room in my freezer so I have lots of lunches and dinners lined up

I see BR14 has managed to get himself cast into the outer darkness again
    Yes, I saw the comment prior to his suspension. Apparently it's not nice to consider that a canal could be improved by the addition of certain CUK member(s). I forget exactly who it was.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Yes, I saw the comment prior to his suspension. Apparently it's not nice to consider that a canal could be improved by the addition of certain CUK member(s). I forget exactly who it was.
      Sounds a little tactless

Comment

Leaving aside the pencil factory and South African security guards, tonight's viewing has been The Americans: S1E8 Mutually Assured Destruction (TV Episode 2013) and S1E9 Safe House (TV Episode 2013)

Down to -3°C out there now, and the remaining snow cover (of which there's a fair bit) seems to have settled in for the night

Goodnight all

Comment

“Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it; But we hae meat, and we can eat, And sae the Lord be thankit.”

No neeps and tatties for me, though.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue sky. Dry. Effing cold at -1 ('feels like' -3). I haven't looked to see the status of snow as that requires me to go outside. We ought to get up to 4 degrees later so it will be a lovely day with no cloud, no precipitation of any flavour,and just a light breeze.

Scam call at 0835 from the 'BT Internet Department' telling me that my telephone and broadband will be cut off but I can press 1 to talk to 'the Executive'.

Need more coffee.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
            France opens the first solar power plant in Odeillo, in the Pyranees 1977

Comment

Sounds a little tactless
              But quite understandable considering the antics of the doom mongering draft dodger.

Morning.

Dry.

Cold. 14.8 deg in here. Won't mention the temperature in the leanto.

Sunny.

CBS.

Snow remains.

Frosty.

1010 mBar, 29.82 inHg, 55% RH.

Monday.

Telex machine gleaming.

<hiatus>

Manky old boots employed again.

Walk walked.

Even more dicey today than yesterday.

Pitstop required on the way back.

It's me age.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast (crust, not so thick as all that), 2 x blackcurrant jam sandwiches on same, yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Just to make my day complete, the polycarb roof of the lean to had ice on it on the inside, which has melted and washed accumulated dirt and wood stain down the back of the cupboard over the sink.

Looks just like tea.

Off down the garage to get the dehumidifier that copes best with low temperatures to dry the place out a bit.

Meanwhile the RH in here is 55%, and the front room is showing 48%.

<hiatus>

Dehumidifier brought upp from said garage & plugged in.

Not sure it's doing much but it was showing "Hi" in the display to start with and it's showing "65" in there now.

I'll leave it running for a while.

Come to think of it, the plumbing could have frozen over night.

That would have been fun.

The bit under the sink is lagged but the remainder is boxed in but unlagged.

Now there's a thought.

House roughly vacced since it's too cold to work outside & I haven't vacced it since the last time, which was over a week ago at a guess, possibly a fortnight.

Tea: more of the roast chicken breast, bacon & sausage from yesterday (the bacon & sausage didn't make it as far as the saucepan), yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "inside the factory: pencils", Nick's Boring mate has just appeared.

However, it must be observed that "we" didn't deny the French graphite for pencils but rather for making moulds:

Graphite Ball Mold....a big one !

There's some impressive machinery in that pencil factory.

I remember someone fecking up a vacuum cleaner with graphite dust back in Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde on Ye Hill some 15 years ago.

I forget why he was chopping up up blocks of graphite.

Maybe he was making a chicago pile.

Well there's a thing:

Red Gate Woods – Willow Springs, Illinois
              - Atlas Obscura

"Do Not Dig!"

"All the money in the world (2017)"

Well that was looooong and made even looooooooonger by the incessant adverts.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 January 2021, 23:32.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Received a note from Brillo saying he's off the forums for a while following a comment about Chinese re-education camps but I don't see a banning notice up yet. Maybe it's a self imposed ban.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Received a note from Brillo saying he's off the forums for a while following a comment about Chinese re-education camps but I don't see a banning notice up yet. Maybe it's a self imposed ban.
                  Most be self imposed - as he isn't flagged as banned so he could post if he wanted to.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Morning

Lovely window weather.

Snow is now ice and slippery. Saw some fools running when it was -2 degrees but they were mainly running on the roads and grass. None got run over....

Now 2 degrees apparently with a high of 5 degrees.

Making some vegetable soup in the slow cooker.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh and I researched what they are doing with the hole in the road.

Apparently they are using a robot known as a cisbot (cast iron joint sealing robot) to upgrade the gas mains so they don't have to replace them all by digging up the roads. Saving lots of time, expense and disruption.

This also explains why they have a man sitting in the portacabin part of their lorry, staring intently at a screen.

Cast Iron Leak Repair, Effective Leak Sealing Methods for Cast Iron Mains, Repairing gas leaks with the help of a robot, Robotic Technology Extends the Life of Gas Pipelines
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X